Decided to pull motor for repairs. Any tips?

tbirdboy

Ordered a engine stand and hoist today. I have Head work(gaskets,porting), mounts, front timing cover seal, probably the harmonic b@&#h, clutch and plate. Not to mention all the essential upgrades(accum,190fp,rad,water pump, heater core{now I'm really asking for it}, and if it is in the budget a aluminum drive shaft. Any tips on the pull? Thanks.

label everything!!!!! take off plastic cover around wipers.for me it is easier to pull the jack shaft bracket and the power stering bracket off. then you can get to the motor mounts alot easier.you can pull it with the blower and intake on but i pull mine off so i can get to the top transmission bolts easier. if your motor or tranny has never been pulled go but some 6 sided wrenches. factory torque on the tranny bolts is pretty tight, i've stripped a few bolts off with a 12 sided wrench.pull your a/c lines (if you are not worried about losing coolant). after everything(exhaust, torque converter nuts,and so on) is unbolted, just ease her out. hope this helps...Bill

Pictures, lots of pictures.

'bird

blwrtest0028sm.jpg

Pictures and labels

Please, Please, Please!!!!

Pictures and labels are the key to doing this enging pull sucessfully! I'm helping a buddy of mine with his XR7, and I'm going to be pulling the engine out of my 90 SC. I really recommend labeling, and pictures with the labels showing so that you know EXACTLY where EVERYTHING goes!

There are so many &#$@% hoses on our cars, and wires too, that with out the pics and labels you are asking for trouble.

Been there, and done that, so I recommend that so that you don't have to go through the headaches that I did.

Good luck!

Pulling motor

I just pulled mine out last saturday. take all parts off left side and put in one box, right in another, front in another, back in another, top in another, and finally bottom in the last box you can find. I have 2-95s so i hope i can just look at the other one and figure out where everything goes.

Back