Knock? You be the Judge-VIDEO! NEW VIDEO!!

hard to tell from the sound in the clip. where is it coming from.

almost sounds like an exhaust leak, but that could just be the sound in the clip to my computer.

Knock

I can't really tell. Was just at exhaust shop today. Sounds like it may be coming from super charger.

I can't really tell. Was just at exhaust shop today. Sounds like it may be coming from super charger.

I can here SC noise in the video but the "knock" did not increase enough with the engine revs. The SC spins SO fast that it would not be knock knock knock as it runs.

??

Could the vanes on the back of the HB be that loud if it was hitting the crank sensor?

It would have taken it out by now if that were it.

You HAVE to give us more info.
YOU have to do some feeling, listening, and what not to tell us WHERE the noise is coming from.

pointing a camera at the motor and asking what's wrong... not gonna get much reliable info!

Tell us if the noise is coming from the SC or the HB... the difference in their locations is EASY for you to tell us one or the other. Same for the valve train, you can tell if it is from the right or left head, maybe it is deeper in the lifter valley? Bottom end... louder underneath.

Can get the stethoscope from the parts store cheap or just a long screwdriver to put your ear to the handle. EITHER work by just touching the tip in different areas and you can HEAR the knock louder in areas and zone in on where it is coming from. So specific that you could tell which bearing/lifter/rocker etc it is.

One easy way is a heavy wt oil

GO TO 20-50 IF THE NOISE STOPS OR IS LESS IT,S IN THE MOTOR ALSO REMOVE THE SC BELT AND RUN IT IF THE NOISE STOPS IT,S THE SC :p

Sounds like valvetrain to me too.

I agree. Put a large screwdriver against the valve cover while holding your ear against the handle to determine which side the noise is coming from, then pull the rocker cover and see what you've got. If the noise doesn't appear to becoming from either side and sounds like it's below the supercharger, it's probably something screwed up in the lifter/cam lobe area.

Mine sounded a lot like that when I broke one of those dogbone lifter retainers and the lifter turned sideways.

David

Sound

It seems to be coming from under the super charger. Isn't louder on one side of the car or other.

The valley below the blower is an open chamber. That may explain not being able to determine which bank of lifters is making the noise.

Paul

ALTHOUGH Lots of people on here agree its in the valve train, to me it sounds exactly like my 1992 when I bought it, the owner did headgaskets and then started to make this noise, it brought back some bad memorys.

mine ended up being the number 3 cyl rod knocking.

1st remove the super charger belt, eleminate the supercharger.

then i would let it run, and carefully pull each spark plug wire off one by one, basicaly do a cyl cut out test. when you pull the plug to the cyl that is making the noise it will go away or get alot quieter (IF ITS A ROD BEARING). if noise stays then remove the intake and take a peek.

we chased that exact noise around on my car (bought it because I thought it was lifters also) and turned out to be rod knock.

Back