Visited Lorain Ohio Plant

Kurt Sunday

SCCoA Member
Well-- it wasn't much of a vist all I did was drive around it a few times and pee in the parking lot. I am glad I made the trip.

Does anyone know if these are the doors our SC's came out of after assembly?

Photo%20Mar%2015%2C%2010%2028%2020%20AM.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSC89
What are you doing in Ohio?

He went to Ohio to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Sunday
pee in the parking lot.

LOL!:D

those are most likely parts distribution doors, they would forklift in parts and such there. the doors you are looking for would be a large single type door, usually on the end of the building (most are set up similar) and there would be train tracks near by for loading cars onto.

find the loading ramps for trains and you will find the outlet of the building.

lorain.jpg

Here is an ariel shot of Lorain I found ... the plant is very large. You can see the train tracks coming up to the rear. From my experience working at an auto plant ..

There would be several doors around the building, loading docks, etc. Some for forklifts to load parts, tires, plastics, sheet metal, etc .. then there could be a couple doors where the vehicles might roll out to an area where they can be "test driven" over bumps before going back into the factory for alignment, etc .. parts distribution, service areas for cars that need to be re-painted or serviced after the car has been completely assembled. There could be an area for water spray and leak testing also where the cars are driven into and showered.

There should be several parking lots, for distributing the cars. Some would be temporary parking lots for cars that need to come back into the factory, another parking lot for cars being shipped out via Train, and another parking lot for the cars being hauled off on semi trucks. The doors closest to the train tracks are not necessarily the "final" doors.

- Dan

Thanks Dan. It was an interesting place to visit. I wish I could have seen it in operation.

Same here ... I had been looking for pictures of Tbirds / Cougars being built in the factory .. in sheet metal, painted body only, half way put together .. anything. Cant seem to find pictures of the Tbirds being built. I know that at my previous factory job we were not allowed to take any pictures at any time due to manufacturing process secrets .. :rolleyes:

- Dan

The truly sad part is that I remember when the parking lot there was filled with Thunderbirds! That's when I first fell in love with them as a teenager.

If any of you guys come through this area again, let me know. There are a few of us that will bring our SC's over and meet you for lunch in Vermilion (I am only a few miles away). We can snap some photos of the cars with the plant or the lake in the background.

Same here ... I had been looking for pictures of Tbirds / Cougars being built in the factory .. in sheet metal, painted body only, half way put together .. anything. Cant seem to find pictures of the Tbirds being built. I know that at my previous factory job we were not allowed to take any pictures at any time due to manufacturing process secrets .. :rolleyes:

- Dan

I doubt you will find any pictures. The only media shots we do is of finished products, but oddly enough we give the customer basically every drawing we have.

Here are some shots from when we stopped by...

First and last years of the SC's...

Attachments

• IMAG0429.jpg
    IMAG0429.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 113
  • IMAG0431.jpg
    IMAG0431.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMAG0432.jpg
    IMAG0432.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 108
  • IMAG0435.jpg
    IMAG0435.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 93
And a photo with an "old timer" that we ran into near the plant...

Attachments

• IMAG0442.jpg
    IMAG0442.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 142
SCs werebuilt in Lorain? No S***. I am in Grafton, 20 min away and never knew. The 60s fairlanes were as well. Over a million. NONE around here now. It would have broken your heart to see the place a couple years ago, the lot was FULL of unsold Hondas. Ford rented the parking lot to Honda to store it's unsold units. Kinda ironic in a sick way huh? On a side note, you were probly lucky to hook up with an "old timer" not get mugged...
Adam

Back