PDA

View Full Version : new engine time

slowpoke
03-16-2011, 10:08 AM
with this years tax return im building a new engine for the car. the intent is to stroke it. does this really help that much with making more hp?

im currently using stock rockers, are these ok to continue using or are there better rockers that i might want to get?

oil pump, suggestions?

im waiting to here back from Dave, im leaving it in his hands as to what size cam i should run. i already picked up new solid motor mounts, start mods on a new intake, headers, im using my current heads since they are not very old from just having them reworked.

timing chain/belt, what has been proven to work the best here?

does anyone make stainless steel freeze plugs for our engines?

i think i pretty much have everything else worked out and with getting Dave on board im pretty sure he will hit all the things im missing. if anyone has suggestion though, then by all means lay them on me. to much intel is always far better than not enough.

btw, i even picked up an electric wrench to hook up to my cherry picker to make this even easier to do since most likely ill be doing the swap solo. this thing is sweet, ive been using 1 exactly like it to hang deer for the past decade. we also used it do pull a 460 with a c-6 attached so im pretty certain it will lift my little 3.8 :)

Regul8r
03-16-2011, 10:29 AM
I am in the process of a full rebuild.

here is what i got/getting from DD

.030 Wiseco pistons with rings
I-Beam rods
Rod bearings
Main bearings
Freeze plugs
94/95 oil pump
timing chain
Timing chain tensioner
Blower rebuild kit

He has good prices!
I am sure IF you shopped around and wanted to nickle and dime things you might find some pieces cheaper but in the long run... about the same when he ships them all together. And if he is making any money I know it is going to one of our own and not a parts store. the other side of that is he gets exactly what you need, no worries about the right part number or wrong parts.

ARP chevy stud set
1.73 roller rockers
Custom cam
Ported heads

Dave sent me a GREAT write up with info on the bearings, turning the crank and boring the block along with re-build guidance.

Not sure who you are having do the work, but I now have a local machine shop that can do the WHOLE operation in house cheaper than any other shop in the area and he has read DD's instructions, fully understood them and insured me it will all be right. I am happy and feel confident in him, he builds alot of race motors around here too, I've had him do other things in the past just now found out he can do it all. I'll help with whatever I can as I am learning the ropes on the rebuild now myself.

kenewagner
03-16-2011, 12:00 PM
I would just stick with what Dave recommends. He has a huge edge in building these engines and more of them under his belt than anyone. I bought my engine from another guy who had a local (so call good) engine builder put together. I shipped it to Dave for disasseembly and some changes. I can tell you there was a ton of things done wrong that would have created damage to my engine on start up had Dave not caught them all. Let him build you an engine and it will be what you ask for beleive me

Ken

slowpoke
03-17-2011, 09:03 PM
oh ya, by all means Dave is the guy for building my block. From reading all of the post in this forum of everything he has done and view alot of his threads i wouldnt want anyone else doing my block build. the heads and blower i have all ready. just need a good block from someone i can trust(Dave) and info on all the add ons ill need. already got ahold of a moving company here that has agreed to build me a shipping crate for when Dave is ready. Thats something i could do but neither want to or really have time for. whats going to really get me is im also attempting to replace every sensor with new and keep the old as back ups.

any reason for the 94/95 oil pump, or was that just first thought?

and what are the I-beam rods?

Regul8r
03-17-2011, 09:26 PM
higher volume from the 94/95 oil pump.

I-beam rods better than stock rods

DD sold me both so I go with what he says! lol

slowpoke
03-18-2011, 12:44 AM
higher volume from the 94/95 oil pump.

I-beam rods better than stock rods

DD sold me both so I go with what he says! lol

sounds good to me

slowpoke
03-20-2011, 03:37 PM
money wise and still keeping my current engine running are causing somne conflict between doing the 4.2 or the 3.8. im doing some work to my current engine today. if all pans out well(which i hope it does) then ill be going with a 4.2 set up. with the 4.2 i might be able to go faster than Daves car. not really but that would be fun.

slowpoke
03-22-2011, 10:33 AM
going forth with the 4.2 set up. i think ill be much happier with the 4.2. i can see muself 2 years down the road kicking myself if i dont go 4.2.