PDA

View Full Version : Recommended 02 Sensors

Toms-SC
03-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Hey all,

Time to replace em'. What is the 'good stuff' when it comes to O2 sensors? Thanks

Toms-SC
03-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Also; whats the recommended belt brand? I'm running Gator backs but got teased pretty hard from Dave. :rolleyes:

ricardoa1
03-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Gates belt, at least on the SC and JS, The Alt can be the cheap stuff at the parts store.
I dont like the Gatorback belts either.

David Neibert
03-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Hey all,

Time to replace em'. What is the 'good stuff' when it comes to O2 sensors? Thanks

Bosch for the sensors, Gates/Napa for the blower belts.

David

Toms-SC
03-17-2011, 05:14 PM
We aren't able to get Gate's here. Any sources online? I guess any part numbers would be nice too. :p

BLOWN38
03-17-2011, 07:43 PM
I would go with NTK sensors or stock ford ones they are made by NTK.

RalphP
03-17-2011, 10:09 PM
I would go with NTK sensors or stock ford ones they are made by NTK.

Be sure to check at RockAuto. The Motorcraft O2s for Ruby Jean (the 1991 Cougar with the 5.0HO) were under $40 each. Get the 5% discount code and it'll just about cover shipping.

Bosch wasn't but $3 less each. For $6, I'd get the ones that match the factory tune JustRight(tm).

RwP

fturner
03-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Be sure to check at RockAuto. The Motorcraft O2s for Ruby Jean (the 1991 Cougar with the 5.0HO) were under $40 each. Get the 5% discount code and it'll just about cover shipping.

Bosch wasn't but $3 less each. For $6, I'd get the ones that match the factory tune JustRight(tm).

RwP

I've been running the NTK's for quite some time now with no issues, and I have not seen any variance with fuel trims between the Bosch (Ford stock ones) and the NTK's.... so I'm wondering where you saw the difference that the factory tune would be tuned for?

Fraser

Toms-SC
03-17-2011, 10:42 PM
If anybody has the part numbers handy please feel free to post em' up. :)

DLF
03-17-2011, 11:28 PM
I've used Bosch p/n 15718 O2's for about ten years now, they have the longer leads needed for headers.

If you don't need the longer leads, then you can use p/n 15716.

RalphP
03-17-2011, 11:42 PM
I've been running the NTK's for quite some time now with no issues, and I have not seen any variance with fuel trims between the Bosch (Ford stock ones) and the NTK's.... so I'm wondering where you saw the difference that the factory tune would be tuned for?

Fraser

NTK is who made them for Ford, so I'd not worry about them.

As to Bosch - I was working off of memory. I can't find the graph, but the generic Bosch (the ones you have to pin to fit the connectors!) didn't have the same curve as the OEM Motorcraft (which may have been made by Bosch - some are, some by NTK.) The OEM fit ones? Appear to work great.

Didn't matter, I ordered Motorcraft for Ruby Jean :D

Always a safe choice for items such as O2 sensors etc. if you're running basically stock.

RwP

fturner
03-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Then NTK makes different O2 sensors. The ones I've pulled out of most of the parts car, and the originals on mine where Bosch, and the body was a lot thicker than the NTK's I have on there now. I've never had to repin any of them......

As for a difference in operating ranges, unless the sensors operate outside of the 0-1volt range with the mid point being stoic (if it is outside then those are totally the wrong sensor for any Ford), still does not make a difference to tuning because adaptive can adjust for that since its capable of covering a much larger range than a stock o2 sensor can read.

Fraser

RalphP
03-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Ah. Finally found the post I was thinking of - and yah, it's really not related to a SC:

http://www.unitedmalibus.com/forums/showpost.php?p=75705&postcount=5

Still, OEM's not a bad choice unless you're a) running a wideband application, or b) your tuner prefers another brand.

(lvmy3100 is to 3.1L V6 GM motors what, say, Lonnie at Blue Oval is to Ford V8s ... so his words stick with me. Just didn't remember exactly WHERE I had read that. Again, for GM's he's probably right, not so right for the SC. I apologize for any misinformation I passed on.)

RwP