What is easiest way to change the sc nose seal?

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
I bought some of the #7966 seals and need to replace the sc seal on one of my SC's. The aluminum plate behind that front spring clip doesn't want to come out and I don't want to have to remove the whole nose cone to do it. If someone who has done this before could give me some advice I'd appreciate it.

Replacement is very easy once you remove the supercharger pulley and metal clip. I use a small nail and drive it in the seal to just puncture the metal. Do not go too deep or you will hit the bearings. Do this at 3 and 9 o'clock on the seal. Screw in two small screws (maybe #6 or #8). Then you can pull on the screws with pliers or pry up under the screw head to get the seal out. Find a suitable piece of pipe to drive the new seal squarely back in. Watch that the lips of the seal do not hang up on the shaft. Lubricate the shaft and inside of the seal with a little sc fluid.

What about the metal disc in front of the seal? That's what we're having trouble removing. Do we have to drill a holes in it and insert screws also? ait seems to pretty well stuck in place.

Oh, OK. Now I see. That must be the difference in the 2 types of seals. My 7966 doesn't the aluminum front and I couldn't remember the 7968 number when I bought them. Thanks a lot. I'm clear on it now.

It voiks, it voiks. I drilled the holes, threaded in a couple of screws, pryed them and the old seal pulls right out. Thanks guys.

I usually sand/chamfer the snout drive at the sharp corner(right infront of the seal) so it doesnt cut the new one.

the pic u all listed does not work who gto a nother pic of the seal befrore i remove the pully like to know what i am gtting in too ok

Back