List the hardest job you've had to do on your SC

mywhite89

I would like to look at other peoples idea on what the hardest job they've had to do on their car. On my car 2 things come to mind

Removing the rear subframe to replace bushings, sand, and paint it. It was hard because every bolt was frozen. The bolts in the knuckles were frozen to the bushings, the subframe bolts were so frozen that I spun a couple of the nuts that are mounted inside the frame of the car. I had to drill 1" holes to access each one so I could get the loose nuts resecured and heat the nut to break the bolts free! That piece fought me every step of the way to remove. Indiana/Ohio!!!

The next one was replacing the steering rack! I don't know about others opinions but that is a pain in the butt to remove and re-install the lines and to r&r the rack itself, tight fit. Probably a lot easier if you do it on a hoist though.

Last edited:
I have done almost everything on a 'bird it is possible. Some of the worst were welding in new metal on the rear quarter and rockers.

Changing the rear bushings was horribly difficult and I would never do that again, I would buy complete arms or take them to a shop to have them pressed in.

Re and re'ing the engine on a gravelly driveway was no fun either.

Not replacing the slave cylinder when the engine and tranny were out of the car and then having to do it a month and a half later is high on my list of pain in the butt jobs too.

Sean

I've swapped motors, did HG jobs, built a turbo setup, had a Whipple on there with an inverted intake, swapped diffs, clutch replacements, slave master cylinder replacements, and all that stuff.

The hardest so far is removing the dash, to me. I did it on a '94 once and Tony Serno got into town to pick the dash up before I was finished pulling it out. I tried on my '89 and gave up. I'm not known for giving up, either.

Replacing motor mounts on my 95 dropping the k member, the stupid rear rotors with the screw in piston also gave me a headache on the 93.

HARDEST thing I have done was on my first SC years ago, SPARK PLUGS!

It took me HOURS to do it! Had the thing on a lift, good wrenches and ratchets.
First time doing it and it was first time for the car too!
The plugs were stubborn as all get up!
Less than an 1/8 of a turn at a time with ALOT of force applied to each turn.

I did HG's and alot of other things on that car and this one too but not hard just time consuming.
Same with all the other jobs on the car, not so much hard just take your time and no problem.

I don't like fooling around with the power steering pump at all. Always a mess and those darn nylon rings that keep it from leaking....ugh

Not to mention the special tool that's needed to take the pulley off and the fact that it kind of stretches out the pulley hole from pulling it and putting it back on so many times.

I also tend to forget the lower IC tube is attached so by the time I have the accessory bracket off the bolt for the IC tube is still intact. :p

I've swapped motors, did HG jobs, built a turbo setup, had a Whipple on there with an inverted intake, swapped diffs, clutch replacements, slave master cylinder replacements, and all that stuff.

The hardest so far is removing the dash, to me. I did it on a '94 once and Tony Serno got into town to pick the dash up before I was finished pulling it out. I tried on my '89 and gave up. I'm not known for giving up, either.

I switched a complete dash when changing my interior to black on mine. Definitely a big job. I wish I would have replaced the heater core preventatively when I had it out too. You just hope you didn't pinch any wires and that you got all the bolts back in when your done

Chris

the dash was a pain in the ~~~, but wasn't that bad for me. lots of screws, but I've pulled many dashes and by far the worst dash I've pulled was on a lincoln aviator. I had probably 200 screws that NEEDED to come out in order to get to the dash frame bolts. that was a 2 day fiasco.

the worst job I've had to do on my car was probably removing and installing spiral locks on my piston wrist pins. I didn't have the spiral lock tool and DAMN that took forever. by the last piston I was starting to get good at it.

Changing all the valve stem seals and threading the valve guides to accept special seals while the motor was still in the car, was probably the biggest pain.

David

HARDEST thing I have done was on my first SC years ago, SPARK PLUGS!

It took me HOURS to do it! Had the thing on a lift, good wrenches and ratchets.
First time doing it and it was first time for the car too!
The plugs were stubborn as all get up!
Less than an 1/8 of a turn at a time with ALOT of force applied to each turn.

I did HG's and alot of other things on that car and this one too but not hard just time consuming.
Same with all the other jobs on the car, not so much hard just take your time and no problem.

Ditto....first time back in the early 90s took my father and I all freakin day.

Long tube headers......driver's side was no problem. The passenger side took forever. Ended up jacking the motor up off the motor mounts to get it to fit. I have taken short tube headers off so many times, it is like changing the oil in the car.

I have pretty much done everything....remove motor in under 4 hrs with hand tools, remove trans, change rear pumpkin, shocks and springs, change torque converter 3x.

I am in the process of finishing up on my 93 5 speed with the motor installation....the only thing driving my nuts is the stud mounted roller rockers and only having a couple of hours to work on the car each night. :mad:

I've done head swaps, cam swaps, 5 speed conversion, full rebuild on my last engine as well as my current trans, multiple spark plug changes, removed the ABS, ARC, and factory stereo wiring.

The hardest thing, putting that damn 5spd transmission back up in the car!:mad:

Getting to the egr bolts to pull the blower, without first removing wiper cowl. Right now its installing my roll bar, but thats not to bad just time consuming re inventing the wheel. Transmission swaps on my back by myself.

I've pretty much eliminated all the hard things on my race car, except the gas tank, but thats going soon.

Transmission

For me, putting the 5-spd back in the car or aligning the motor to the tranny when putting motor back in I would say is the hardest I've done and I have done it many times, but never got any easier.

Getting to the egr bolts to pull the blower, without first removing wiper cowl. Right now its installing my roll bar, but thats not to bad just time consuming re inventing the wheel. Transmission swaps on my back by myself.

I've pretty much eliminated all the hard things on my race car, except the gas tank, but thats going soon.

Dnag son, you juicin or what? I could do a 5spd on my back, bell housing on the knees and tail housing cupped in my hands, but an AOD would crush my skinny a$$

Back