power window problem

Ronald Wendt

My drivers side window will not go up straight, it always seems to bind on the front edge like 2" total by the time it gets to the top. Needless to say, their is a big air gap up there.

What would cause this? The passenger side is starting to do this too. But it will jiggle its way all the way up. It goes down totally smoothly and evenly.

I tried to lubricate the molding the window front edge rides in, but so far it does not help. The window is only supported on the track at its back edge and about halfway which seems like not the best arragement but thats what we have to work with

Ron Wendt
glxieman@yahoo.com

Window problem

Ron

What I think you are experencing is the front section of your window. There are (2) slot type mounts (some I have found are plastic and others are metal) that holds true with both side windows, that your glass is held onto by glue of sort. What you have described on your thread sounds like it is the front piece that has come loose. Simple take off your door panel and rise or lower the window to position the bottom window track in front of an opening to where you can see if this has happened.

If this is the case, there is a bolt w/nut to remove to disasembly this slot type mount that is suppose to be glued back on the window. Do the same process with back mount by taking the bolt out. At this time.... Carefully remove window from door, you may have to play with it by moving it up and down to find the spot to where it will come out the easiest.

I actual went to AutoZone, or you can; I'm sure find it in any other local favorite Auto parts store is some epoxy ( 1 part glue and 1 part hardener.)

Mix the 2 parts together and glue the mount piece back in the same exact spot. You should be able to locate exact location due to all the dirt and dust that surrounded the mount when it was on the window before hand.

I had this same thing happen to my passenger side window. After glueing and placing the mount back on glass, I would recommend waiting at least a day so the glue as enough time to harden before reassembling your glass.

Hope this helps you out

Any questions, let me know?

Jeff Bratton

Window

I'm sure Jeff is right, I had the same type of problem. I think this is one of those things best done by an expert. I took the door panel off went to a glass shop and they took out the glass, cleaned it, the previous owner had some shading on the window and didn't remove it all, and reglued it all for $25. If you pull it out and break the glass or some other part or use the wrong glue, it has to flex or it will crack and let go over time, it will cost a lot more. For $25 or so I think it is well worth it.
Just a thought,
Ed

Well I went and checked out my windows, and both of them have both window attachments on good and tight.

I find that the drivers window has double the play up and down as well as sideways when I just grab it than the passenger side window.

I am starting to think the mechanism is bent or something is worn real bad like a pivot point. I did find that the rear window guide down in the door had rusted the bracket loose. I am sure the kid who owned this before me probably just lived with it and made it worse along the way. I'l find out this week sometime when I dig it apart

window

The rear guide was out on one of mine also, it is only $18 from ford. I didn't think anything was only $18 from ford. By the way, replacing this helped a little in making the window go up straight, but not totally. The window frame on mine on the outside of the door has a bent area, the window is coming out of the track there, causing it to wobble and not shut tight.
Ed

I tore the window assembly apart and found that the central pivot point for the regulator arms originally had this square shaped hole that was now rounded off due to wear. I might have been able to weld it up, but decided to get a new one. List is like $103.00 for the regulator assembly less motor, but I get wholesale prices from a friend at at dealer so it should be $25 or so less.

Gotta believe this will happen sooner or later with the other window

Window regulator...

Cool! I'm glad to see you have pin-pointed your problem. That is always a good sign.

If you cannot find a drivers side window regulator (New or Used) from someone, I Do have one already out of an extra door I once had. Everything on it is in good working order the time I took it out. I'll sell it for 25 bucks plus shipping, like I said.... If you cannot locate one.

Later!

Jeff Bratton

OK, I put in the new window regulator assembly and the window goes up much better. It still seems to drag on the front edge as it comes up and out of the door through the top of the front window track. The passenger side window does the same. We have tried to make sure the front track is straight and not bent in anywhere on both windows

I think maybe it just needs to have the track lubed up? Anyone recommend what I should use? Lithium Grease? Something not to use?

Ron

O

Ron

I used the Lithium Grease on mine. It seems to adhere better for a longer period. That's my .02 cents.

It seems to work well for me anyways...

Jeff Bratton

Back