Engine Rebuild - Roller Timing Set?

SCchick3

Few quick questions...

I didn't do too much to the actual heads...port/polish, slightly bigger cam(Hydraulic Roller) and pushrods/springs to match, and figured I would change the timing chain while I'm already there. If I were to get a performance roller set, i wouldn't have to change anything else right?

Just wanna make sure I don't spend $200 on something I can't use :) Thanks!

Just use a stocker. But you can check out Dalkes thread "someones gonna go fast next year" towards the end with what he had to do with a Morana set and how much it was.

I bought my set from DD.

He sent me a stock replacement from melling along with the 94/95 oil pump.
Advised the double roller was not needed for a mild/modded street car build.
While your at it ask him for the 94/95 oil pump.

Oops sorry, shoulda specified year...its a 91. Should I replace the oil pump? Or would that be something easily done when i get it all put together? For some reason right now, I can't think of where the pump is...anyways, thanks for the advice. I'll just stick to the stock chain if it really doesn't matter :rolleyes:

Oops sorry, shoulda specified year...its a 91. Should I replace the oil pump? Or would that be something easily done when i get it all put together? For some reason right now, I can't think of where the pump is...anyways, thanks for the advice. I'll just stick to the stock chain if it really doesn't matter :rolleyes:

The pump bolts to the front timing chain cover you have it off to do the cam.
Change it while your there. The 94/95 pump is a direct replacement with more volume or is it more pressure? not sure but it IS an upgrade to the 89-93 version with no ill effects.

If your replacing all that and have about a $100 bucks to spare a new oil pump would be money well spent. Its not necessary but much easier to install now then later when its all back together. Stock chain works fine unless you got some crazy solid roller cam and springs.

Thanks guys, really appreciate it. I was having some issues with almost stalling last summer and someone said it might be the oil pump...so I might as well :)

Back