new Koni's

Ronald Wendt

Now that I have them on, what do you do with the old electrics from the ride control? If I just remove them, will that cause any problems other than the firm ride blinking at me?

With Suspension Techniques 1.5" lower springs, anyone have a ball park setting for the Koni's?

Ron Wendt
glxieman@yahoo.com

How do you like the Koni's? I have been contemplating putting them on my car as well. Was the install hard? I have been pretty skeptical about putting a cartridge in the old shock body. I wasnt too sure about how well that would work out. Were there some instructions included that told you how to do that? Could you post them? I am VERY interested in learning about this.:confused: :)

Tape them up how? Do you mean keep the wires attached and tape the whole assembly to the tower or somewhere? Or just cut the wires and tape them off?

Re: ride control

Do not cut the wires! Just secure them out of the way. The computer will not know the difference.

Bill

Hi, Ronald.

the few people I have talked to who have done this have just moved the actuators out of the way and left them connected. If you cut the wires, it's the same as removing the actuators. the computer doesn't know what to do and gives codes. Please don't cut the wires, just position the actuators still plugged into the harness out of the way inside the shock top caps.

I have Koni's on my 95 and all I did was unplug and remove the actuators and leave the switch in firm. I haven't noticed anything freaking out with the ARC yet.

Sorry, I'm a little dense. XR 7 Dave are you saying just unplug the wires and not worry about it as recommended above?

If I can just get my stupid windows to go up I can actually start driving this thing and I can sure try plugged in versus unplugged

Ron

Unplug all the actuators and remove them from the car, after you do that the firm ride light is probable going to start blinking. If you don't like the blinking you can leave the switch in the firm setting or you can remove the firm ride bulb from the back of the cluster. As far as settings for the koni's I leave mine at 2 1/2 turns to the firm side NICE & STIFF Nick

Years ago, I put Koni's on my Boss 302 and didn't use anything else after that. I was hooked. This talk of shocks is making me want to do it to my 35th. Nick, guys, so help me make sure I understand too that if you unplug the actuators and put the switch in Firm mode, the dash indicator will just stay off and no computer codes? Thanks for your patience.

Lance,
If you unplug the actuators and leave the switch in firm,the firm light will stay on but it won't throw any codes.

I too would like to install the Koni's. My car is completely torn down and now is the time to do it, while the suspension and subframes are out of the car. I'm really curious about how you attach the front Koni shock cartridge to the stock shock tube. I understand that this is the way it is mounted. Please give details or at least tell me who to talk to so I can get the info.:confused: :)

For the most part what is involved isn't that hard. First you need to remove the spring from the strut.
You will then drill a small hole in the bottom of the original strut to let the oil drain out. It is the worst part because of the mess.
Next you will cut the cartridge about a 1/4" from the top all the way around and pull out the internals and leaving you with the body of the shock only.
Enlarge the hole you drilled to drain it to about 1/2" and drop in the Koni cartridge and there is a bolt that goes in the 1/2" hole to hold the new cartridge in place.
The instructions tell you where to drill and how much to cut.
Hope this helps....

Bill Evanoff wrote up a nice description in one of the back issues of Charging Thunder, drawings and pics and everything. All I did was follow them. Of course tright now I can't find that back issue to tell which number it was but if I do I'll let you know.

I remember him saying he used 1 or a fraction over one full turn off soft for the setings, but I wonder what might work best with the linear Suspension Techniques springs I have whereas he had the progressive Eibach springs

Ron

Back