Hood Pin Location

RussellR

Those of you that have hood pins, where did you mount them?

I'm putting a fiberglass hood on my 91 SC that use for road racing but can't decide where to mount the pins to the radiator brace. Being a channel makes it hard to get the nut on the back side.

Those of you that have hood pins, where did you mount them?

I'm putting a fiberglass hood on my 91 SC that use for road racing but can't decide where to mount the pins to the radiator brace. Being a channel makes it hard to get the nut on the back side.

I welded an angle, you could bolt one on, and installed the pins on the front side of the radiator brace. First picture, later added panels to cover area behind lights, second picture

ken

Attachments

• Front SC.jpg
    Front SC.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 158
  • Newest 3.JPG
    Newest 3.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 154
I welded an angle, you could bolt one on, and installed the pins on the front side of the radiator brace. First picture, later added panels to cover area behind lights, second picture

ken

Nice looking engine bay. :)

I didn't think of angle brackets, that looks like a good idea. I might just have to break the welder out.

I originally thought of welding nuts to the support where the bumpers are but was concerned that there isn't enough meat there to hold. Some of the tracks we will be at we can get up to 130-140mph. A broken pin would get ugly at those speeds. The brackets would give a lot more surface to weld to.

(I don't need the bumpers as I'm using AeroCatch hood latches which have the bumpers built in - http://www.aerocatch.com)

If you are using the AeroCatch latches you should contact ricardoa1. He has them on one of his cars.

Ask Dan Sly he is the Supercoupe windshield champion, right Dan?:eek:

If he's the champion then I'm the runner up............:p

I don't care how nice and "purty" your hood pins are, if they ain't locked you setting yourself up for some zhitty underwear because it did it to me......:eek:

If you're gonna throw hoods into the air, you need breakaway hinges.;) Like Tim Groth had. We left the track to go to the gas station, I was driving. Pulled out on the road, hit second gear and whoosh, a flash of white! A second passes and it hits us, that was the hood:eek:. Look back real quick to catch it falling to the grass on the shoulder:). Turn around to check out the damage and all it did was rip the screws out and knock of the emblem.:cool:

I had my hood cause me to do an Ace Ventura out my drives side window. LOL I had the pins the you use a key to lock. Seems that the ears had broken off on one side that allow the pin to slide in as it locks down. I was running around 50-55 when it slide out and smacked my windshied and tore a gash in my dash. :mad: I go with the old school style carter pins now and also have my safety latch on the hood functioning this time around...

I cut an hole in front of the radiator support to have access to the nut on the bottom of the hood pin shafts. Then I covered it up with a small piece of metal.

You can see in the pics where the hood pins are located on the hood when attached to the radiator support.

Attachments

• hood pins 001.JPG
    hood pins 001.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 86
  • hood pins 002.JPG
    hood pins 002.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 88
  • hood pins 003.JPG
    hood pins 003.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 90
  • hood pins 004.JPG
    hood pins 004.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 84
  • hood pins 005.JPG
    hood pins 005.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I cut an hole in front of the radiator support to have access to the nut on the bottom of the hood pin shafts. Then I covered it up with a small piece of metal.

You can see in the pics where the hood pins are located on the hood when attached to the radiator support.

like it! are those locking hood pins?

Those are the ones that snapped the ears off and caused my hood to fly up and give me the ride of my life. I swore them off and will not put them on any of my cars.

Those are the ones that snapped the ears off and caused my hood to fly up and give me the ride of my life. I swore them off and will not put them on any of my cars.

The only problem I've had with them was not locking them and my hood flew up. I about zhit in my pants...........:eek:

I understand you not wanting to use them but I think what happened to you was just a freak accident or faulty set of hood pins.

Back