The Car is Possessed! Need help with electrical problem, please

wreckless

Last night the headlights started flashing on and off. Parked the car figuring the headlight relay was shot. Got up this morning and the electrical command center would not turn on. Stayed dark. The turn signals would not work. The brake and ABS warning light both stayed on. After driving for ten minutes the brakes failed with the pedal getting hard/ no power assist. OK, is it all interrelated or just dumb luck things going all at once? Is it related to the recall dash wiring harness short problem? Take to the dealer? Take it to private garage? Any and all help and incite will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hello, wreckless.

Forgive me I don't remember which year you have. I just thought I'd peruse the EVTM for my 90 and the feed for the VMM, instrument cluster, and other things goes through the headlight switch. My lights went on and off soon after I bought my 35th and I had to replace the headlight switch. No problems after that and I have rewired my fogs with a relay to help that from occurring again. I don't know about the wiring harness recall but lord knows I don't know everything anyway. :) Just thought I'd suggest a new headlight switch to start. It's easy to change and my old one definitely showed darkened contacts on the back where the connector plugs in. As to the ABS, problem I don't think I can help much there. Just still learning the ABS systems. Hope this helps a little.

Have a great weekend.

Thanks for the reply Lance, The car is an 89SC. The manual shows that ABS also feeds through the same circuit as the VMM, turn signals, et al. I hope that this is the only problem

From preivious postings on the board and the awareness of the ignition switch getting progressively worse. It wasn't a fuse/electrical issue because I had eliminated that possibility.

wreckless said:
From preivious postings on the board and the awareness of the ignition switch getting progressively worse. It wasn't a fuse/electrical issue because I had eliminated that possibility.

Just replaced mine the other day!!!

That had been a safety recall, but thoe sons a bitches at the ford STEALership says my car wasn't covered.....THERE WERE ONLY 7.9 MILLION cars that this affected, and somehow mine, with the problem that applied to my model of car isn't under the recall????
I hear the Dodge place has no problem fixing recalled ****...

Anyhow was yours coverd??

I thought I had brake problems... then I thought I had grounding problems becasue I could only start it form cheating the starter selenoid...

Then it woudln't stay on in the Accessory position! That's when I figured it out, when I unplugged it, it fell apart! I'm just lucky it didn't happen going down the road!

How long after a car is purchased can you not get a factory recall done? Didn't the 94 SC's have a headgasket recall? If that's so, would i still be able to get the recall after this long?

Back