broken HB bolt

DLibbs92sc

Ok my car died at a stop light. Wouldn't start so I pushed it into a parking lot. It ran for like 30 seconds then would die. I have it towed to work and we run the diagnostic machine on it and it says camshaft syncro. Well i have it towed home and I go outside to look at it and the Harmonic balancer bolt is broken. Any idea what could cause this?

Ok my car died at a stop light. Wouldn't start so I pushed it into a parking lot. It ran for like 30 seconds then would die. I have it towed to work and we run the diagnostic machine on it and it says camshaft syncro. Well i have it towed home and I go outside to look at it and the Harmonic balancer bolt is broken. Any idea what could cause this?

go to the search and you will find endless info on this. im telling you right now your looking at getting a new balancer. dont get used or you will have the same problem all over again.

it does seem strange how these cars all seem to have the same problems around the same time. i just got done changing mine along with a few other people.

I'm in the same boat. I was planning on replacing the crankshaft sensor this weekend and turns out my hb bolt is broken too. Now I'm not sure if I can get parts for it by the weekend. What a bummer...

BTW...just curious if you guys think that my hb failing is due to the SPEC aluminum flywheel I have on the car. The car is otherwise stock, but would the weight difference of the flywheel cause more stress on the balancer? Just a thought, wondering if I should just throw the stock one back on soon?

BTW...just curious if you guys think that my hb failing is due to the SPEC aluminum flywheel I have on the car. The car is otherwise stock, but would the weight difference of the flywheel cause more stress on the balancer? Just a thought, wondering if I should just throw the stock one back on soon?

Nope, don't think so. I've run the SPEC flywheel with no issues.

Thanks, sorry to the OP, not trying to hijack your post. Another question to you experts out there...mine is an 89, which could have had the duracast or steel crank. According to Ford, I believe they told my dad just now that there would be 2 possible HBs and I wouldn't know until I got into it? Does this sound right, I thought only the crank was different?

I'm going with the BHJ all steel unit replacement, will this work with either crank design? I'm pretty sure I have the steel crank anyway...

Apparently from other posts, the Duracast one wouldn't last the 200,000 miles I have on mine ;) Woohooo, fancy steel HB here I come!

Great, someone had posted that the other pulleys will need to be balanced with the BHJ HB unit? I've only seen one post on this, can someone please confirm whether or not this it true?

Great, someone had posted that the other pulleys will need to be balanced with the BHJ HB unit? I've only seen one post on this, can someone please confirm whether or not this it true?

Yes, have it zero balanced.

Very important that is done.

Back