easier to do with engine in or out?

mmathews

I have the entire front and top off the car. The intake manifold, tb, sc case and plenum are all ported and painted. The accessory brackets, tensioners, pulleys and accessories are all modified and painted. I have the heads cleaned and are gonna be ported and painted in the next few days. I want to clean all of the sludge off the engine, trans and bay. I also need to fix and re-route a few items. Should i just pull the motor and transmission, do all the work, cleaning and assemble it then reinstall it? I have never pulled a motor. But theres not much left in there. And i think i can get the sucker back together cept the accessories and sc stuff and put it all in that way. The car has 130 k on it. I would love to refresh the motor but i am out of time. It'll be next winter. Is that pushing it? Anything else thats wise to replace at this stage? Its gonna be pretty and i dont wanna keep messin with it once its done.

I have the entire front and top off the car. The intake manifold, tb, sc case and plenum are all ported and painted. The accessory brackets, tensioners, pulleys and accessories are all modified and painted. I have the heads cleaned and are gonna be ported and painted in the next few days. I want to clean all of the sludge off the engine, trans and bay. I also need to fix and re-route a few items. Should i just pull the motor and transmission, do all the work, cleaning and assemble it then reinstall it? I have never pulled a motor. But theres not much left in there. And i think i can get the sucker back together cept the accessories and sc stuff and put it all in that way. The car has 130 k on it. I would love to refresh the motor but i am out of time. It'll be next winter. Is that pushing it? Anything else thats wise to replace at this stage? Its gonna be pretty and i dont wanna keep messin with it once its done.

I wouldn't pull and reinstall it just for cleaning. You'll likely scratch more stuff up than the cleaning up of hidden places is worth.

David

If you're under a time crunch, don't pull the engine. Do what you can now, re-install, and when you have the funds for a fresh engine, then take your time on cleaning everything.

Atleast that's what I'd do.

the pan is real close to k member i had to pull mine anyhow with it all out you can clean everything i powerwashed mine for an hour getting all the greas and rust out you can also get paint matchd and spray the motor bay looks real nice once done

im alittle ocd so you dont have to go as far a i did but your choice

there isnt much more to take off if you got it down to block i pulled motor and trans sepret bymyself so its not that diff

I replaced the motor and trans mounts in oct when i got the car. I would be ok with leaving it in. I can do all the re-routing as it is. Will i hurt anything using cleaner and hosing it down? I have the starter covered, is there anything else?

I replaced the motor and trans mounts in oct when i got the car. I would be ok with leaving it in. I can do all the re-routing as it is. Will i hurt anything using cleaner and hosing it down? I have the starter covered, is there anything else?

cover
rear seal on trans
anything open on motor
and if your trans dont leak at pan it be ok
dipstick tube
you should be ok someone else will chime in if anything eles needs to be coverd

Back