why is it moving

forcedbird94

i took my 94 motor apart and the crank moves back and forward about 1/4 inch now i have been around a auto shop since i was 2 due to fact my dad owned a shop till last year i have never seen a crank move like this one

and did all sc come with a windage tray????

Silly question to you but did you forget to install the thrust bearings. Or no thrust bearing at all?

Just a thought.

Something is wrong you should have .004-.010 crank end play. As mentioned with no thust bearing you'll have alot play.

Something is wrong you should have .004-.010 crank end play. As mentioned with no thust bearing you'll have alot play.

thats what i figured cuz i can push on flex plate forward and not fit my finger inbetween and slide it backward and fit it in just fine lol what u think caused it to do such a thing

thats what i figured cuz i can push on flex plate forward and not fit my finger inbetween and slide it backward and fit it in just fine lol what u think caused it to do such a thing

It's possible that the bearings just wore out ... But it's also possible for transmission problems to wear the thrust bearings out sooner. Here are some possible causes of failure.

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Thrust_bearing_failures.html

ballon? never heard it used like that

Sorry balloon not ballon.....Google "torque converter ballooning". Excessive load/internal pressure on the converter can cause the case of the converter to expand/balloon and when that happens it pushes the crankshaft forward and this quickly wears out the thrust bearing.

David

Last edited:
Sorry balloon not ballon.....Google "torque converter ballooning". Excessive load/internal pressure on the converter can case the case of the converter to expand/balloon and when that happens it pushes the crankshaft forward and this quickly wears out the thrust bearing.

David

i c the trans did have slow shift and took off slow

It happens fairly often, pretty sure a ballooned converter helped to take out my motor a couple years ago.

Back