what about an aluminum car?

mmathews

So in my dreams the other night i had a vision of building an all aluminum chassis and components. All welded of course. Now of course it would be quite a project so before trolls come out to try and kill my dream, lets indulge this. First off, is there any car made that has an aluminum twin? I'd like to see the spec sheet from each. I think it would be bada$$ to look under my car and see a nice, smooth, clutter and rust free car. Ahhh..

So in my dreams the other night i had a vision of building an all aluminum chassis and components. All welded of course. Now of course it would be quite a project so before trolls come out to try and kill my dream, lets indulge this. First off, is there any car made that has an aluminum twin? I'd like to see the spec sheet from each. I think it would be bada$$ to look under my car and see a nice, smooth, clutter and rust free car. Ahhh..

It's fairly complex to build a car out of aluminum. I think that traditional welding techniques are difficult to apply, so a lot of different techniques have been tried. Adhesives and riveting are used on some. The Ford GT used something called "friction stir" welding. I can't think of any car where the manufacturer went through the trouble of figuring all that out, only to go back and build in steel.

But, it WOULD be cool. :)

The NSX is built from aluminum, as are several Audis. But I can't imagine there are any corporate siblings, one aluminum, one steel. It's not as if you'd just take the steel stampings and replicate them in AL...you'd have to redesign every part.

Edit to add: The Lotus Elise is all aluminum, too. Extruded panels are glued together using aerospace industry adhesives. The entire frame weighs 180 pounds.

Last edited:
It's fairly complex to build a car out of aluminum. I think that traditional welding techniques are difficult to apply, so a lot of different techniques have been tried. Adhesives and riveting are used on some. The Ford GT used something called "friction stir" welding. I can't think of any car where the manufacturer went through the trouble of figuring all that out, only to go back and build in steel.

But, it WOULD be cool. :)

you can weld aluminum with arc, mig or tig and probably others if you have the right electrodes, wire, etc

Yep. It said it shaved 440 lbs. Roughly. I've shaved 50 lbs off my car with my ps and ac delete. In my dream i also changed the body a little. It would be shorter. Aluminum exhaust, lighter seats, smog equipment, traction control, aluminum suspension components, ect... i would guess you could get er down 700 lbs. Then make a still and run your "liquid sunshine" to be green ;) oh, and help pay for it all, all the members donate to me $30.

you can weld aluminum with arc, mig or tig and probably others if you have the right electrodes, wire, etc

Yes, you can ... but you may not end up with a good frame for a moving vehicle! Here's a discussion of some of the issues:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=366596

I think the best clue that welding an aluminum frame just like a steel frame isn't the best idea is that all the manufacturers of aluminum frames are using these strange methods, like adhesives.

Is it a can't do it or can't afford to do it. I think if it was completely tig welded, it woud definately be road worthy.

Is it a can't do it or can't afford to do it. I think if it was completely tig welded, it woud definately be road worthy.

If somebody who has structural knowledge designed and built it, only then would it be "road worthy".

.. all of the members donate to you $30 .. HAHAHA. You would need a LOT more money than that.

While you're building your aluminum can - I'll just go buy a Fiberglass replica Lamborghini body and build a steel frame. ;)

- Dan

The real issue with aluminum is the fatigue life. Eventual it will fail (aluminum has a finite fatigue life even if it stays in its elastic zone).

Steel or Carbon fiber structure is the best IMO, for a non race car application.

Yes, you can ... but you may not end up with a good frame for a moving vehicle! Here's a discussion of some of the issues:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=366596

I think the best clue that welding an aluminum frame just like a steel frame isn't the best idea is that all the manufacturers of aluminum frames are using these strange methods, like adhesives.

ya agreed. those are pretty interesting. good ol' volkswagen seeing to their major flaws? (the bit about the porshe and valve stems)

Last edited:
Back