input on clutch swap

dirtyredghost

hi everyone im new on here i just got a 89 SC 5 spd a couple weeks ago cheap but needed a clutch. i now have the clutch and am going to be changing it here in the next week hopefully and i was just wondering if i could get some input on what exactly im getting myself into. i have changed clutches before, just never on a thunderbird. i am wondering if there are any surprises to be expected ect. i should state that i will be doing it on a lift so room to work wont be an issue due to it being on jack stands or anything, but other than that i have no clue what to expect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks everyone

make sure you replace slave cyl while your in there. one thing i always do is bleed/ flush all old fluid out at old slave, then change everything. that way nothing but clean fluid in new slave. do a search on clutch swap and you will learn all you need. gl and welcome, brian

easy, remove upper console, removed shifter handle, removed rubber boot around shifter. remove shifter (optional i believe)

lift car up , removed exhaust from cats back if all stil one piece. disconnect battery (better safe than sorry)

there are two ways to remove the drive shaft, either remove/lower rear differential and slide drive shaft back, or remove gas tank, and remove drive shaft that way. i think its just as easy to drop the tank down but i have a lift and its a good idea to get in there and inspect the fuel lines at top of tank, they are known to leak.

then you will need a tool to remove the clutch line from transmission, remove the wiring harness connectors and get wires away from trans, losten and remove the trans cross member, if your motor mounts are shot you will know at this time as the motor will move all over the place, remove the bolts around the transmission bellhousing and starter, then slide transmission back and out.

nothing really different than any other RWD car except for the clutch line tool, drive shaft removal procedure, ect.

you might have to rotate the trans 30 deg to the right to clear the cat on pass side i believe.

while clutch is out, its a good time to replace the coolant lines behind the motor, your spark plugs would be crazy easy with trans removed, and also the rear main seal on the motor.

i am not sure but I think the motor mounts are right there also when trans is removed, would just take some extra hands to get them changed at this point.

well if thats the case, then it should go quite well because my cats are already gone. we were hoping to swap it out this weekend but looks like its a monday project now

Back