Modifying FMIC

nickleman60

I'm getting ready to modify my existing i/c from being a same side inlet/outlet to an opposite side inlet/outlet, this will be accomplished by cutting off the bottom tank, reversing it and welding it back on. I like the size, core and location of what I have now but it could be made to be more efficient by having opposite side and corners inlet/outlet which would utilize the entire core area for cooling. The end product will be just like the MP unit as far as the way the air will enter and exit the i/c. I'm also enlarging the tube diameter to 2.75" from 2.5", namely because of the mods I have planned. My drawing gives you an idea of what I plan on doing.

Attachments

• ic changes 001.jpg
    ic changes 001.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 149
I don't know if just changing the tank direction will achieve the effect you are looking for. Look at my garage, I had Ken put a divider in the inlet of my IC to split the air thru the entire core. I attached 2D CAD drawing I did to have it made.

Attachments

• option2.pdf
    280.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Neither of those cores are ideally suited for your cars regardless of end tank design. Short run IC's are suited better for centrifugal superchargers or turbos.

The IC's I design all have at least a 24" airpath through the core.

Yes, I am sure we all know they are not ideal since thats been stated many times here. I haven't really seen ACT's to alarm me yet, granted with alky the ACT's are not an issue.

Neither of those cores are ideally suited for your cars regardless of end tank design. Short run IC's are suited better for centrifugal superchargers or turbos.

The IC's I design all have at least a 24" airpath through the core.

That's like saying the MP unit isn't ideal for our cars IMO. My modifications are going to make mine just like theirs only a little smaller plus without having the heat from the radiator from being bolted directly to it. I'm going to find out and with me switching over to the Moates chip, I'll be able to datalog the ACT's. Another thing I might do is move where I'm currently spraying the nitrous, instead of after the ACT sensor to before it, I bet then I'll have some super cool temp numbers. Thanks for the input from everyone.

Last edited:
I don't know if just changing the tank direction will achieve the effect you are looking for. Look at my garage, I had Ken put a divider in the inlet of my IC to split the air thru the entire core. I attached 2D CAD drawing I did to have it made.

I could do that at the same time as the bottom endtank work, thanks.

My IC is in front of the radiator too. Moving the jet might be a good idea, most place the alky jet in front of the ACT sensor. Your gonna love datalogging with the QH.

My IC is in front of the radiator too. Moving the jet might be a good idea, most place the alky jet in front of the ACT sensor. Your gonna love datalogging with the QH.

Yours looks like you placed it in the ac condensor location. Although it's not touching it, it's still really close. Mine is mounted up against the front bumper support, I have a 7.5" space between my radiator and i/c. I even had to cut out part of the front bumper support to mount the i/c fan to the front side.

Moving the nitrous nozzle is going to do a ton of good for the ACT temps when spraying. As it is now if the sensor sees too high a temp it will pull timing. Even though I'm spraying after it the timing has already been backed down. So except for when I ran in the extreme cold which probably kept the ACT temps somewhat decent, I was probably killing my 1/4 mile numbers simply because of the timing being pulled.

I already have (2) 4' -3AN nitrous feed lines on the way to take care of it.

Plus a brand new pair of Hoosier full slicks 28/10.5/15, tubes and rim screws on the way.............;)

Last edited:
Since you love the 1/4 mile and drag racing.
Ditching the FMIC for a liquid IC would do you be a better option.

Since you love the 1/4 mile and drag racing.
Ditching the FMIC for a liquid IC would do you be a better option.

Naaaaaa............I'm going to go with my plan, anyways the nitrous will keep the air charge cooler than any i/c would/could, water to air or air to air. I never dog it around town or on the street.

Exactly why a liquid IC would well for you, since it would work best at the track.

I don't understand your logic Todd, a liquid i/c IS NOT going to cool the air charge better than the nitrous does. If I wasn't running nitrous then it makes sense to me but I do run it. I'm content with the way everything is now except for the planned changes to the i/c. When I get the Moates chip installed then I'll be able to datalog the air charge temps. which should be interesting to see the difference between spraying and not spraying.

Back