5 speed fussy while warm

Breadsax

My 89 5 speed has a tough time getting into first sometimes, only while warm. I have new syncros in there, but the replacement ones were the all brass that are slightly different than stock, I believe. I'm running Amsoil ATF synthetic and also the friction modifier (even though I think Amsoil ATF has friction modifier in it). Anyone else have trouble with their replacement synchros? I can get it into gear, just feels like I have to force it a little too much while warm. I only notice this in first.

Another related thing is that it seems much easier to take off from a stop while the car is cold. I have an aluminum flywheel and I'm wondering if this heats up more than the steel one causing me to have to give it more gas to avoid killing it.

I should just drive this car in the cold mornings and call it good :)

Anyone have similar problems so that I can at least feel better? ;)

My 89 5 speed has a tough time getting into first sometimes, only while warm. I have new syncros in there, but the replacement ones were the all brass that are slightly different than stock, I believe. I'm running Amsoil ATF synthetic and also the friction modifier (even though I think Amsoil ATF has friction modifier in it). Anyone else have trouble with their replacement synchros? I can get it into gear, just feels like I have to force it a little too much while warm. I only notice this in first.

Another related thing is that it seems much easier to take off from a stop while the car is cold. I have an aluminum flywheel and I'm wondering if this heats up more than the steel one causing me to have to give it more gas to avoid killing it.

I should just drive this car in the cold mornings and call it good :)

Anyone have similar problems so that I can at least feel better? ;)

the syncros will be tight at first if all new but this should fade quickly. if the first gear is tough it could be just a tight syncro and or a shifter in need of rebuild. some of the m5r2 trannys just have a tough first gear. the main thing to worry about imo is 2-5th. so long as those are going easy then i think you will be ok.

as for the flywheel question, is it that it engages faster needing more gas or its not engaging like it should?. if you have positive engagement when cold and it feels like it drifts when hot i would think its possible that your clutch might be nearing its end. that or some other problem related directly to the clutch system ie(slave, master ext.)

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention the clutch is a new Stage 2 clutch from OC Clutches and the slave cylinder is also new. These were all replaced by a Ford mechanic.

It just seems more sensitive the longer I drive the car, as it warms up. Like I need to either floor it, or barely give any gas at all. Just gets very touchy. Maybe this is typical of a Stage 2 and I'm just not used to it. Or maybe my left foot is just really weak after not driving her all winter and gets tired easily? :)

i think i know what your saying, correct me if wrong here. when you put it in gear and let up off of the clutch it seems to go from nothing to full engagement with little pedal travel?

if thats the case then start getting used to it. thats the way it works. another reason i went to center force.

Yup, you got it. Sounds like I'll just have to make sure I give myself room between myself and the car in front of me before I let let her rip ;)

dont worry, you will get used to it. after 1-2 months you'll have it down.
1 thing that has helped me alot in traffic, on hills, getting ready to race ext is line locks. i set the control switch up on the shifter knob with a main power cut on the dash. it works great. i still use it from time to time in normal traffic.

Back