Fluids

IMPORTDESTROYER

Hey all, I figure it's about time to change my tranny(manual), and rear end fluid. I've never done it since i've gotten the car, 15,000km, and I dont know if the previous(original) owner did it either. I went down to the local speed shop, and the guy was absolutely raving about the Royal Purple product line, so i might give it a whirl. My question is, can I do this at home, and if so, how time consuming, and difficult is it??

Thanx
Luke

Shouldn't be hard.

There is a "fill" plug on the driver's side of the transmission.

There is a "drain" plug on the same side, but closer to the end of the transmission and lower on the case. Jack up the pass side of the car up a little more than the driver's side.

Open up the drain plug, I think it's a 1-1/6" socket. You should drain about 3.5quarts of fluid out.

I think that Ford recommends that Mercon III is used in the transmission.

Guys here have tried, Mercon V , Mobil One ATF, Mobil One Manual trans fluid, Straight weight 30w motor oil, Redline synthetic, B+M trick shift etc etc etc.

I would check into the redline stuff. Royal Purple is like redline, aftermarket high performance synthetic to get the most power out of something. It should work fine, but note difference in shifting quality.

Rear diff, you have to pull the diff plug and drain the stuff out. Put in 75w-90 gear lube and friction modifier, unless you are running a synthetic lube like redline with a modifier already added.

Thanx a lot for the info, im going to try it out tommarow. Is there anything else I can do while im under there, as far as fluids, and lube go. Basically, im tryn to get my car in as good a shape as possible, for that long dwelling Canadian winter.

Thanx
Luke

flush your brakes with DOT4 or DOT3, buy about a liter of the stuff.
Also get some friction modifier if R/P doesnt come with it already added for the diff fluid.
You might also want to remove the power steering return line(at the bottom) and flush the fluid out with actual clear P/S fluid.

Once again, thanx for the help. I believe the Royal Purple has friction modifier in it, but i'll look into that. What is the big difference between Dot 3, and Dot 4, and which would be more suitable, reliable, etc. My brakes are all OEM, no mods.

Thanx
Luke

I do beleive that a...

DOT 5.1 exists. I remember seeing it somewhere. It is a modified Silocone fluid that IS safe for ABS.

Advantage of silicone fluid is that it doesn't absorb moisture and it is NON-compressable, which means a firmer pedal.

Back