Power Antenna

XR7

Ok, speaking of an 89 XR7

There is a switch on the dash to manually raise and lower the Antenna...

My question is, when I put the Antenna down the motor continues to turn, and sounds like gear teeth jumping..

So Is this a normal issue with these antenna's or are they suppose to stop turning the motor when bottem'd out?

My Car has made this noise since I have had it..

Karl

Ok, speaking of an 89 XR7

There is a switch on the dash to manually raise and lower the Antenna...

My question is, when I put the Antenna down the motor continues to turn, and sounds like gear teeth jumping..

So Is this a normal issue with these antenna's or are they suppose to stop turning the motor when bottem'd out?

My Car has made this noise since I have had it..

Karl

If I don't release the switch, my 1991 does the same thing.

If, however, I release the switch, it stops.

RwP

My 94 T bird has no separate switch, antenna went up and down with radio switch. Mine had the bottoming out and still running issue too. I figured that cant be normal. My solution was open passenger door, reach in and disconnect antenna. Nothing on radio anyway. Good tunes on CD changer.

My 94 T bird has no separate switch, antenna went up and down with radio switch. Mine had the bottoming out and still running issue too. I figured that cant be normal. My solution was open passenger door, reach in and disconnect antenna. Nothing on radio anyway. Good tunes on CD changer.

Yah, that was a change from the GEN1 to the GEN2 (with the new interior for 1994).

RwP

I solve this problem in a different manner. I bought a Dorman universal power antenna that looked like it was 17 years old (come to fined out it was in stock cense 1992) I removed the antenna from my car (94) took off the mast and the motor cover. Took the mast and motor cover off the so called new one and swapped the parts that were broken put it back together and works like a charm to this day been about a year.

Yah, that was a change from the GEN1 to the GEN2 (with the new interior for 1994).

RwP

I think they actually started doing it in 1993 weirdly, I've come across quite a few with power antennas and the delete plate where the button went

93 uses the button. The motors are Metra units so you can get them at any parts store.

Got to looking it appears to the Power Antenna Module behind the glove box that is the problem.

Got to looking it appears to the Power Antenna Module behind the glove box that is the problem.

Are you saying there is a module behind the glove box that is causing the early models with the power antenna..

Problem being that it does not stop at its top and bottem.. and cause's the motor to keep running, which in turn gives a gear skipping sound...

If this is what you are are saying... can you provide some more information about what you have found, and possibly how to fix the issue?.

Back