how do i fix the bad wheel hop

dirtyredghost

ok so after 3 days of working on my SC to fix it(started as a simple clutch swap) i finally got it done and it now has a 3" blower pulley, spec stage 2 clutch, 3.73 gears, and replaced passenger side CV axle. Talk about one long week. problem im now having is EXCESSIVE wheel hop when launching and hard shifts. im used to solid axle cars so i have no clue where to start on fixing this. all i know is the car has some bar bolted between the 2 lower control arms that i was informed was "supposed to fix wheel hop" HELP

Yikes, 3.73's in a five speed? You could probably lightem up going into fifth gear if you wanted to. On my five speed lowering it and putting on a bigger rear swaybar pretty much cured wheel hop problems. I did them both at the same time so I don't know if it was one or the other or a combination of both mods that did the trick.

Last edited:
HAHA well cant speak for 5th, but it sure chirps going into 4th lol. and i gotta do something cuz its driving me nuts. i only put the 3.73's in cuz i had them laying around but man does it come out of the hole hard :D

haha dont worry, i have already owned 35 mustangs in my life(yes i know thats a ~~~~~ ton) but long time ago i got my a** handed to me by a built 95 SC 5 spd since then i have always wanted one so now i finally have one im gonna keep it and attempt to make it fast. i have a spare blower off my parts car that already has coated rotors in it, but im gonna port it before i put it on. where do i go to get the bushings your all talking about? sway bar also. like i said totally new to the SC scene but sure going in head first!:D

search for wheel hop delete mod

unbolt the rear k and you'll see that the actual subframe mounts cause the hop as the bushings don't compress by design

search for wheel hop delete mod

unbolt the rear k and you'll see that the actual subframe mounts cause the hop as the bushings don't compress by design

Not on my car.

I got rid of the hop ('95 5-Spd, 3.55's, 300+ RWHP) entirely using my complete Delrin Bushing kit by itself, prior to installing my UHMW Sub-Frame mounts.

where do i go to get the bushings your all talking about? sway bar also.

For the DLF Delrin bushings, send a PM to him - he's replied in this thread.

For the swaybar - the SC comes with a fairly beefy one (in the MN12 world) already, I'd wait on that a bit (the swaybar doesn't do much for wheel hop anyway, I'd more bet it was new bushings or other items done at the same time for the poster that said that. But someone who knows more than I do about suspension may chime in ...)

Oh - for DLF's bushings, check the "For Sale" and "New Products" subforums also!

He also has some new subframe mounts that'll help that wheel hop some, but I'd start with his Delrin bushings.

RwP

I know this is an old thread but I had a related question...

When you guys are talking about the Delrin or Poly bushings in the LCA's, is that only on the three spindle locations or are there bushings of those types that fit the inboard frame locations too?

Ive recently replaced all the rear bushings with stock replacements... Im pretty sure that was a mistake with the power that I am making now.

In board. The gentleman that was making delrin ones for us has passed away. So poly bushings on the lower control arms will be your only choice. The knuckle bushings will are ok. You might to get new bolts for the lower arms they freeze up.

Ive recently replaced all the rear bushings with stock replacements... Im pretty sure that was a mistake with the power that I am making now.

Spinning tires don't move you forward. so if you don't want to have wheel hop, modulate the throttle so that your tires don't spin.

Good bushings at all rear suspension points and the rear subframe and a good driver will dramatically reduce wheel hop. Remove all compliance with delerin bushings will eliminate wheel hop. Wheel hop is caused by compliance in the subframe and rear suspension.

In board. The gentleman that was making delrin ones for us has passed away. So poly bushings on the lower control arms will be your only choice. The knuckle bushings will are ok. You might to get new bolts for the lower arms they freeze up.

Actually, Bill over at SCP sells Delrin bushings for the LCA, but not DLF's design (Bill's design still requires something to replace the toe compensator.)

RwP

Dont waste your time with poly in the rear. It won't fix wheel hop. I did that, took a very long time, i fixed nothing but my seized rear suspension.

Chris

Back