PDA

View Full Version : spring repairs

kpoindex08
04-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Well the other day I figured it was warm enough to start my tear down and repairs on my 94 5spd. Got it down to the block and it sure is grimy in there. I broke the trimming cover trying to break it free from the engine block. The studs were almost rusted in two, sizing them to the cover. I washed the valve covers, intake, and I think I am going to paint them the same color as the car in high heat paint. I also got the harmonic balancer cleared and swapped my reluctor ring over to it. Debating on weather or not to buy a crank OD pulley or get the factory one balanced. Engine is ready to be pulled just got to get an engine stand to put it on. While I have it out any suggestions or do it your self up grades are welcome.
Pickís to come shortly!!

ganuolfthegrey
04-10-2011, 01:50 PM
sounds good man keep us posted. look into set of march aluminum pulley set.
If you don't want to overdrive the blower. I have them and they are great,plus there alot lighter than stock.:D

kpoindex08
04-10-2011, 03:04 PM
I was quoted $90-150 just to balance the stock crank pulley!! Might as well get the aluminum one and be done with it. I am waiting on some one to send me picks of an OD pulley before I decide to buy it. I just bought the rotary file so I can open up my exhaust manifolds before I reinstall them.

sdw
04-10-2011, 09:08 PM
$90 - $150 seems really expensive. I had my complete rotating assembly balanced fro $350 including harmonic balancer and clutch.

And I was told it should have been less but there was lots of work to be done because it was so bad.

Sean

kpoindex08
04-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Well I got the engine out and on the stand (barrower my cousins) and took off the oil pan and all that good stuff. I broke an exhaust bolt off in the cylinder head. I will need to remove that then I will be sending them off to have a valve job done. I ported my exhaust manifolds but definitely need new studs in them.

kpoindex08
04-11-2011, 06:49 PM
$90 - $150 seems really expensive. Sean

ye heck with that i am just going to get an aluminum one and be done with it.

kpoindex08
04-12-2011, 11:47 AM
today i noticed that all the rods and rod caps have cylinder numbers on them. do sc have these from factory or has some one rebuilt this engine?

TSC89
04-12-2011, 01:36 PM
today i noticed that all the rods and rod caps have cylinder numbers on them. do sc have these from factory or has some one rebuilt this engine?

They are that way from the factory.

kpoindex08
04-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Well I did not like how the heater hose came over the driver side valve cover so I moved it with some 3/4 hand bent aluminum tubing and a small 45* pre molded rubber hose. I got my timing cover in the other day and it is all cleaned up and ready for install.

scskydivin
04-23-2011, 08:42 PM
I would get a BHJ balancer to go with the new crank pully. Peace of mind goes a long way. If you've got the $$, I'd port the heads while they're off. Don't buy your pistons until the block is finished. That way, it's not bored .20 or .30 over & you've got stock size pistons. You'll hafta take em back to get the correct size. Same with the piston rings. The price should be the same for bore size on all 3, pistons, rings, and machine bore. I went with .20 over incase I had to rebuild my engine, there would be some meat left for me to clean the cylinder walls without worrying about over boring the block.

Kurt K
04-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Well I did not like how the heater hose came over the driver side valve cover so I moved it with some 3/4 hand bent aluminum tubing and a small 45* pre molded rubber hose. I got my timing cover in the other day and it is all cleaned up and ready for install.Looks good.

kpoindex08
04-24-2011, 01:00 PM
I have had the BHJ for some time now just now tearing into the engine. I don't think I am going to port the heads just yet. My plans for it now are just to freshen it up with new barrings and rings. I will have the car for the rest of my life to make it a performance car.

Tthank you kurt.

TSC89
04-25-2011, 08:59 AM
Well I did not like how the heater hose came over the driver side valve cover so I moved it with some 3/4 hand bent aluminum tubing and a small 45* pre molded rubber hose. I got my timing cover in the other day and it is all cleaned up and ready for install.

That is a great idea.

Silenced
04-25-2011, 09:50 AM

I have no idea who you are, but I really like the way you think. I'm anxious to see how this car turns out. Keep it up.

kpoindex08
04-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks all. I also did not like the factory hood latch system so i fabbed my own up from a few spar parts i had laying around off some of my early 90's dodge diesel rigs. The hood release is a little harder to pull but i like the end result. picks to come soon!

scskydivin
04-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Quite the crafty one aren't you? :)

Regul8r
04-26-2011, 08:35 AM
what tubing is that?
where did you get it?
cost?

TSC89
04-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Thanks all. I also did not like the factory hood latch system so i fabbed my own up from a few spar parts i had laying around off some of my early 90's dodge diesel rigs. The hood release is a little harder to pull but i like the end result. picks to come soon!

Another good idea.

kpoindex08
04-26-2011, 11:31 PM
what tubing is that?
where did you get it?
cost?

1- 3/4" aluminum tubing came off a 2007 yamaha rhino.it was one of 2 coolant return tubes. i had to do a little bending to make it fit just right.
2- just had it laying around from another project.
3- free to me.

And thanks all again. I will keep coming up with new and interesting ways to do things and share what i learn.

kpoindex08
05-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Well I did a little engineering on the pass. Side heater tube also. I Used the same type of tubing as driver side and the exact same “cut to fit” pre formed 45* rubber hose. I had to do a little hole drilling with my 1" hole saw to put the aluminum tubing through the frame of the car (tight fit!). I remember reading some where that the passenger side headers have very little room to work with so I decided to rough it the way I did. Here is some picks!

kenton

Silenced
05-12-2011, 09:46 AM
YES! WINNING!

I think I have a slight crush on you :o

scskydivin
06-01-2011, 12:13 AM
I saw a clean red '93 sc on the rack at a repair shop on hwy 47 just west of Bonne Terre this afternoon right before I drove by your shop. Reminded me of your project. So, how's the progress going?

moovn2vegas
06-01-2011, 10:15 PM
looks like you have main studs? if so somebodies been in there

kpoindex08
06-02-2011, 07:06 PM
The sc you saw belongs to some kids dad I went to high school with. It’s a five speed and I know I would not want to own it after all the stories of jumping RR tracks and knocking out the oil pan that I hared from the kid(kids doings). He is an sc destroyer not lover. There is also a red 93 sc west bound on 32 right before Bismarck on the right. It has been sitting for quite some time. Needs the ABS swap though. Progress on my project has slowed to a slugs pace. I recently got the short condenser in and am now fibbing up a new radiator bracket. I have recently acquired a second 94 sc from a member on this board. It’s an auto that had a wrist pin retainer dislodge itself from its resting place allowing the wrist pin to scar the cylinder wall. I have the block at a well known engine builder in my area receiving a sleeve as we speak. I still have to order the engine kit from Dave D.

No studs here just bolts.

kpoindex08
06-15-2011, 06:06 PM
I got the radiator center mounted on my custom support bracket and the condenser sealed to the radiator with dense black foam insulation. Iím waiting on an intercooler to pop up on e-bay or something of that sort for a decent price so I can start mocking it up.
pictures to come soon!

scskydivin
06-16-2011, 01:16 AM
There is also a red 93 sc west bound on 32 right before Bismarck on the right. It has been sitting for quite some time. Needs the ABS swap though.No studs here just bolts.

I stopped by that place about 6 months ago. He wants $2000 firm for that car! When I drove by there last week on my way to Park Hills after a P/U at Stricklin Auto Salvage on 21 in Graniteville, the car was moved. So I wonder if he actually sold it.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your progress on yer car. Keep us updated!

kpoindex08
06-16-2011, 02:58 PM
I had to remove the spike that went into the rubber cushion on the passenger side and solder on my own bracket that I could bolt to my custom rad. support. Other than that it was a walk in the park.

94v6kid09
06-16-2011, 03:07 PM
if you are in need of an intercooler maybe i can help pm me

kpoindex08
08-13-2011, 05:39 PM
I picked up an intercooler for $20 bucks the other day from a friend. It needs a little re working but I think I can make it work. I am currently putting the engine back together on the white 94 auto and will soon focus my work on the teal 94. Ill post picks up of both in the near feature

I got the engine bay of the auto ready for the engine.
I made one more mod for my rad. i think everybody should do this.
Got a steal on the intercooler so if it does not work ill scrap it and make a profit.
And take a look at that piston in a 55 gal. drum it is huge!

kpoindex08
08-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Well as the title says I hope this helps with the poor intake designee but if it does not there are more at the store! First I thought of just using the existing return plenum but I thought this car is custom all ready why not go with a new designee. I used a rotary file to take down all the burs and did away with some obstructions in the intake its self. After welding the 90* cast elbow I rotary filed all the welds down for good air flow. I did not make it pretty on the outside but I will. :D

Silenced
08-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Dude yes! The world needs more people like you who think outside the manifold.

kpoindex08
09-24-2011, 04:10 PM
Well I got the intercooler down to the size I want it was slightly too big being it came from a MAC truck. Also got my cast elbows to weld on to it. Here is what it is going to look like. I should have it ready to be installed in a few weeks or maybe longer. Depends on how much I work on it.

kpoindex08
10-02-2011, 12:36 AM
Well I had a great money saving idea! I really canít fork over 300+ for the MP front exit so I started my own today. I had a few extra top hats lying around so I modded itÖ Well cut off the piece I needed any ways. I have to get the one side built up by my welder so I can grind it flat like all the other sides. Then I am going to use some round 3Ē tube and make it oval so I can fit all my new goodies under a stock hood as progress is made ill post more picís. here is a little eye candy for now!

kpoindex08
10-28-2011, 07:32 PM
The money saving idea brought to life for a whopping $48 bucks here are some pictures.

scskydivin
10-31-2011, 11:33 PM
Hey, nice job!

I had seen a late model white sc with bumper inserts & quad pipes in front of your shop last week. That wouldn't be one of yours would it?

kpoindex08
11-02-2011, 06:18 PM
That would be one of the birds in the flock. It was sheath Lantripís old car. He said he bought it from a member here when I bought it. It would be cool to know who had it before him but I donít think ill ever know. I just rebuilt the engine in it and put a 04 mustang transmission from DirtyDog performance into it also. I got her running like a champ but I hate the quad pipes on it so I am in the market for a new bumper cover. If you see one let me know.

scskydivin
11-02-2011, 10:55 PM
No prob. You could just change the tailpipes, ya know?

How's that Dirty Dog trans workin for ya? I've been saving for the same swap from him for 8 months now. I'm hoping to have enough cash for the job by Marchish.

kpoindex08
11-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Someone cut the rear bumper cover to place the exhaust tips where they are at now. I am going to reconfigure the mufflers and return the tips to the factory locations. I bought a OEM never used bumper cover yesterday from an auto body shop in California. Itís on the way now. The transmission works like a dream! I donít have a before and after opinion because before I put the transmission in it moved a total of 6in under its own power. I love how it shifts and most of all moves now though.

kpoindex08
01-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Got most of my goodies Tuesday afternoon from DD. Here is a teaser for you. I will up date the thread in a few days on top hat progress as well. I have also been scratching my head on another project to up the air flow to the supercharger. What do you folks think? It is 4" tubing.

scskydivin
01-04-2012, 11:34 PM
Is the tube on the right your replacement for the inlet plenum?

kpoindex08
01-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Yes but it still needs modified to fit right. I have a machine shop about 10min.north east of Bonne Terre working on the flange for the TB and the SC to be welded to the 4Ē tubing in the last picture on the right. I have the top hat and intercooler at Tom How Welding off 67 being welded now. Ill have them tomorrow so I will snap a few pictures and post them as soon as I can.

seawalkersee
01-06-2012, 02:45 AM
Subbing in on this.

Did you make sure your inlet (at the back of the intake) will fit the car before modding it?

SWS

kpoindex08
01-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Subbing in on this.

Did you make sure your inlet (at the back of the intake) will fit the car before modding it?

SWS

The test fit went well. I removed my vacuum boost and went with hydro boost so i can run the intercooler tubing along side the valve cover on the drivers side.

kpoindex08
01-07-2012, 12:52 AM
Here is the top hat after I made it pretty along with the intake. He did not finish with the intercooler yet he said ill have it by the middle of next week.

David Neibert
01-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Now this looks interesting.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51495&d=1325911907

David