speedometer, Need major help.

Ringosc

I have a 92 sc and I recently put in new odometer gears. I just took the car back out to see if everything is working, and i find out that the speedometer was not taking a reading, but I will quickly get on it, and when the needle reaches 40 it quickly skyrockets up to 80 and then stops, and then when I was fallowing my dad infront of me to set the speed, he was at 60 and mine was reading 50.

Now hears the problem. As the cruise was set at 60, from what my dad told me, the car was staying right behind him, but the needle wasn't staying in one place. It would start to read 50, but then keep droping. It finally stoped at 40.

Now I cant be the only one with this problem, and I went back 6 pages on the forums and i didn't see anyone with the same problem that I have, so someone please helping.

If I have to get a new speedometer, or get a new cluster, just someone tell me what I have to do. My car was sitting on jack stands all winter long and I would like to get it out soon.

PLEASE HELP

replace the speedo gears

The common problem is for the gears that run the odometer which doesn't affect speedo operation.

Make sure you don't have a wiring problem from the speedo head to the transmission. My connector at the transmission is broken and likes to come loose every once in a while. Makes my speedo go crazy then stop working. The gear iside the trans could be worn out or you need a speedo head replaced, whochdoesn't seem very common.

Ringo, I upgraded to a 140MPH gauge cluster, I have a complete working one for your car. If it comes down to it I can mail it to you for 40$ flat.

LMK

Bryce

I'm thinking you could have one of 2 possible problems. 1, the needle is binding and not turning freely. I've had that happen to me after replacing the odometer gears. 2, the plastic speedogear on the sending unit in the transmission is stripped or damaged. I've had this happen also.

Needle

I as well have had the speedo needle be the cause of that on one of my old sc's after removing and replacing the needle back on wrong.

Well the old speedometer needle that was on it got put back on but the it got damaged in the process of replacing the odometer gears. But the head of the needle was held on by a piece of ruber and so I decided to replace it and the new needle started doing this.

The old needle that got broke was on there to see if the odometer worked and that was at least decent.

I'll put the old needle on and see if it help. If not then I look for the gears.

Back