Opinion on seatbelt issue...

TvilleTbird

All,

I've searched and found a bunch of threads on the seatbelts we have, but no one seems to have had the symptoms I do. I have a 91 that the passenger side shoulder belt will not move when the engine is running... It works fine when the car is off. I'm guessing the ignition switch, but wanted to ask real quick before I start throwing parts at it...

Thanks in advance,
Rob

seat belts

I have the same problem, On my car if you open the door wile the car is running the belt fails to activate but if I open the door and pull back like I'm going to close it and hold on the striker the belt will activate. Shut the car off and they work fine. I restored this car six years ago they worked fine up until about two years ago and have no clue why they act like this, everything is new or rebuilt.

I have the same problem, On my car if you open the door wile the car is running the belt fails to activate but if I open the door and pull back like I'm going to close it and hold on the striker the belt will activate. Shut the car off and they work fine. I restored this car six years ago they worked fine up until about two years ago and have no clue why they act like this, everything is new or rebuilt.

I'm guessing you've not come to any conclusions yet either? I've got my jeep in the garage bay now, but I'm going to investigate as soon as I get the bird back in :)

I really don't have a clue why yours acts that way. I fixed a similar issue by replacing the sensor in the door.

I'm sure you came across that in your readings, just thought I would throw it in there.

Those sensors seem to be the culprit for a lot of those weird seatbelt issues.

Good luck

Seems to be Fixed!

Thought I'd throw this out there...

While playing with the door open/close and not getting any motion of the seatbelt, I played w/ the little switch toward the front of the car, I'm guessing this is for the lights only since I managed to get the belt moving by partially closing the clamp for the striker. If I closed it w/ my fingers & the door still open, the belt would move maybe 1/2 inch or so. The more I worked the clamp by wiggling it, the belt would start & stop more.

Well, this weekend seems as though I've fixed it. Went to Radio Shack and got a can of old style TV Tuner Cleaner... has a lubricating agent in it as well as cleaner. Sprayed the door latch, closed it once by hand and the belt worked. Tested by opening & closing the door about 10 times and it kept working :).

Not an expensive fix at all, and now my passenger can get out of the car w/o me having to shut the engine off :)

I had some issues with the motorized seat belts. I solved the problem by ripping them out and installing manual ones. Havent missed them at all;):D:D

Ken

I had some issues with the motorized seat belts. I solved the problem by ripping them out and installing manual ones. Havent missed them at all;):D:D

Ken

Had similar problems with my shoulder belts not always opening or closing on my 93 SC, so I disconnected the motors and just pull the shoulder belt over my head.

David

Back