IRS mount problem

kenewagner

I was working on the car tonight and found the curbside rear IRS mount to the subframe is loose. The bolt in the center seems to be frozen. I tried a
1/2" impact on it and did nothing tightening or backing it out. I am concerned that I will twist the bolt off creating a new problem. There always seems to be a problem somewhere. Anyone have some imput on this problem?

Ken

Not sure if you can get at the top(blindside) of the bolt or not but...
IF not then a small drilled hole strategically placed to stick the tube from P'Blaster in it to soak the top of nut and blind nut could help it soak in and loosen it up.

one of the bolts BROKE on the 93 when I stripped the IRS out of it before going to the scrapyard.

IF it breaks, you'll have to pop the nut off the inside of the body.
Then you could cut a slot big enough to slip the old nut out.
Weld a piece of flat steel to a replacement nut and slip it in the slot.
Making it a self holding nut like the front upper control arm has.

Not sure if you can get at the top(blindside) of the bolt or not but...
IF not then a small drilled hole strategically placed to stick the tube from P'Blaster in it to soak the top of nut and blind nut could help it soak in and loosen it up.

one of the bolts BROKE on the 93 when I stripped the IRS out of it before going to the scrapyard.

IF it breaks, you'll have to pop the nut off the inside of the body.
Then you could cut a slot big enough to slip the old nut out.
Weld a piece of flat steel to a replacement nut and slip it in the slot.
Making it a self holding nut like the front upper control arm has.

Looks like I have some work to do. Im sure this doesnt help my launches at the shootout.

Ken

Well, I've removed quite a few, and I've found that an impact gun isn't the best choice. It's too hard on the bolt and nut, and you can't feel what's going on.

I've had the best luck using a long 1/2" breaker bar. So far, knock on wood, I've been able to get every one out without damaging anything.

I had one of those bolts bust while driving the car years ago for some reason. You can cut a hole in the trunk to make access to the T nut thats in the body channel.

I had one of those bolts bust while driving the car years ago for some reason. You can cut a hole in the trunk to make access to the T nut thats in the body channel.

Well the bolt is definitely froze up. A breaker bar and socket did not work and Im sure I would have twisted it off had I tried a little harder. I like the going through the floor of the trunk to access the nut should I need to replace it. I am going to drill a small hole in the side first. I have a bore scope so I can look at the nut on a camera and then spray it with some Free. A good product, like WD40 on steroids:D

Ken

I like the idea of drilling the hole in the trunk too.

After drilling a small hole and spraying the nut with a liquid pentrant this morning. I grabbed the Impact again, six hours later and ran it forward and back several times. It suddenly started turning the bolt out. Switched direction and it ran it up tight. Finally an easy fix that didnt require me rebuilding the car:rolleyes:

Ken

Well the bolt is definitely froze up. A breaker bar and socket did not work and Im sure I would have twisted it off had I tried a little harder. I like the going through the floor of the trunk to access the nut should I need to replace it. I am going to drill a small hole in the side first. I have a bore scope so I can look at the nut on a camera and then spray it with some Free. A good product, like WD40 on steroids:D

Ken

Free.....you must buy from certified labs.

they do make good products!

Yep but they are pricey but work

Thats who we buy from, for some of our chemicals at work......I actually can't stand free as a product. I like Zep45...its like free, but much better in my opinion.(made by ZEP though).

What other products do yall buy from certified?

Thats who we buy from, for some of our chemicals at work......I actually can't stand free as a product. I like Zep45...its like free, but much better in my opinion.(made by ZEP though).

What other products do yall buy from certified?

My parts cleaners use there products. I have soaked rusted junk in free and never had it fail. I also stock Zep 45

ken

Back