93'sc Gas Issue

SCmoneysink

Hello and thank you all ahead of time for any assistance,tips,thought on the matter.
So here is the scoop, I have a 93'SC which I last started last summer / fall 2010.
My question is, my gas is bad and how or what should I do to empty the bad gas in the tank so it will start
(of course I will put fresh gas in the tank after I empty the bad stuff out).

This is what I have done so far;
I disconnected the fuel filter in hopes of when I turned on the ignition the gas would pump out of the hose into a safe container. My results were of failure as it did not pump anything out.
The fuel that leaked out smelled good but was discolored so I am sure it is bad, I forgot to put fuel stabilizer in it for storage over the winter. I tried to start it last December and it would not start, but it did try to roll over. So this is what I believe is the issue. I have not tried to start it up since then as I did not want that bad gas clogging up the fuel system etc. My last options I have in mind is dropping the tank if possible or putting it in the shop for repair.

From Coug90 "jump the connector on the EEC-IV tester." Where is the tester located and how exactly should I jump it without frying anything. I also heard jumping the fuel pump relay and I'm not sure where that is either or how to go about jumping it. Thanks for the help everyone.

Run a ground wire from 926 in the diagram to the ground on your battery, or somewhere on your car. You'll need to turn the key to accessory if memory serves me correct. Before you do this undo your fuel filter and use a gas tank or pan to collect the gas.

On my supercoupes the test connector is located by the passenger side firewall or by the air intake box for my later model.

wmdlc-eeciv.jpg

How much gas is left in the tank.....

You might be able to mix in some higher octane fuel to get her running....

Thank you for the info I am going to go out and try it now.
When I turned the key over the gage said it was almost full for some reason. I didn't think I left that much in it. :eek: Luckily I have a lot of containers for collection.

Run a ground wire from 926 in the diagram to the ground on your battery, or somewhere on your car. You'll need to turn the key to accessory if memory serves me correct. Before you do this undo your fuel filter and use a gas tank or pan to collect the gas.

On my supercoupes the test connector is located by the passenger side firewall or by the air intake box for my later model.

wmdlc-eeciv.jpg

Or you can just run a wire from port 926 to port 359.

David

I just returned from trying this method, I heard the pump come on then it made some funky clunking type noises and shut off. Still no gas coming out from the hose. Any thoughts?

I just returned from trying this method, I heard the pump come on then it made some funky clunking type noises and shut off. Still no gas coming out from the hose. Any thoughts?

Sounds like you are not grounding the correct terminal of the EEC test port. This picture is a little easier to see the correct port. Stick a bare wire in the marked port and secure the other end to ground. Pump should stay running with key in the on/run position.

fuel%20pump%20test.gif

You can also make draining the fuel a lot easier by removing the shrader valve from the fuel rail and putting a 5 or 6 ft long piece of 1/4" ID fuel hose over the shrader valve nipple and secure it with a small clamp or zip tie. Then with the EEC test port grounded you can turn on the ignition and pump the fuel directly into a gas can, without crawling under the car. To stop the fuel from pumping you can either pull the ground wire or turn off the ignition.

David

I tried the EEC method again, results were same as before, no gas being pumped out. I heard a click sound as if the pump got battery juice, I'm thinking the pump is shot from sitting to long? or something. I called my local certified ford shop to see what they can come up with. This beast has already ate enough of my money, getting ready to throw in the towel soon :(

Get a mirror and take a look at the pump connector on top of the tank....

They do have a tendency to melt when the rubber "O" ring fails....

Maybe that is causing your problem....

Back