PDA

View Full Version : Car turns over, then dies immediately......

Kris Campos
04-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Hey Everyone; I've had my t-bird out of commission for a while, and the problem that I had, is that the car will turn over, and then it fires 2-3 times, and immediately dies. I read somewhere that if the crank sensor was bad, that I would see the upshift light come on when trying to start, and it does not. Any other common problems that would cause the car to do this? Any ideas are appreciated!

kenewagner
04-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Hey Everyone; I've had my t-bird out of commission for a while, and the problem that I have, is that the car will turn over, and then it fires 2-3 times, and immediately dies. I read somewhere that if the crank sensor was bad, that I would see the upshift light come on when trying to start, and it does not. Any other common problems that would cause the car to do this? Any ideas are appreciated!

make sure you have a fully charged battery

ken

JC316
04-14-2011, 05:34 PM
I had an issue like this with my mom's 89 IROC-Z. Turned out to be the MAF.

JimmyMan
04-14-2011, 06:08 PM
sounds like an ignition switch to me

hawgy
04-14-2011, 11:58 PM
if its been down make sure no rats got in there and chewed the plug wires.

mmathews
04-15-2011, 12:20 AM
Can you keep it running with the throttle? My car will idle with the maf, tps and iac unplugged. A severly clogged fuel filter will do this. It builds enough pressure to start it but not enough to sustain it. Where there any symptoms leading to it? If the crank sensor fails completely, it will shut down fuel and not start. If you can keep her running long enough you might get a code.

Kris Campos
04-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

JimmyMan, you were right, it was the ignition switch; once I let go of the key, it comes back far enough that it must not be sending a signal to the computer, or whatever it does, but that's it.

On my way to autozone to get some part.

Thanks again guys; truly appreciated!

hawgy
04-15-2011, 10:53 PM
is this located on the steering colum and if so does it look like this? http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MPI0/2IS79.oap?keyword=ignition+switch&pt=02018&ppt=C0039

RalphP
04-16-2011, 06:38 AM
is this located on the steering colum and if so does it look like this? http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MPI0/2IS79.oap?keyword=ignition+switch&pt=02018&ppt=C0039

Yes, that's the ignition switch. Or looks like the one in Ruby Jean, anyway.

RwP