what 5 speed transmissions fit?

mmathews

I wanted a 5 speed but couldnt pass up the auto i got. I am gonna do a swap. I found the things i need list on here. The problem i am having is locating a transmission within a reasonable mileage. What other transmissions will fit our cars? Maybe somethin more popular

It doesnt have to be a direct bolt application. Arent there transfer plates? Or can i make 1? Is it the splines that have to match? I am not a transmission guru.

There are no aftermarket parts available for any swap. Anything other then the stock SC transmission, your pretty much gonna be on your own to make it fit and work.

rzimmerl is right, you're gonna need the M5R2 to get want you want. Look up Ken Seegers, he's in Philly or try DLF, he's in Forked River, NJ. How far do you want to go to get the 5 speed trans?

There are no aftermarket parts available for any swap. Anything other then the stock SC transmission, your pretty much gonna be on your own to make it fit and work.

I dont wanna have $300 in gas plus the cost to get a used transmission. Thats all. At that point i would be better off gettin another car.

I dont understand the beating a dead horse comment. I already stated it doesnt have to be a direct bolt on. I find it hard to believe everyone on here is running the stock 5 speed.

I dont understand the beating a dead horse comment. I already stated it doesnt have to be a direct bolt on. I find it hard to believe everyone on here is running the stock 5 speed.

The dead horse comment is because you are a newb. This has been discussed many, many times over the years and those of us who have been around would already know that all the Mustang transmissions are too short, they put the shifter up into the dash. Kinda hard to shift and also have a functioning heater. lol

Yes, everyone here is running the stock transmission because no other transmission has the shifter in the right spot. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the stock transmission. If all you want is cheap transportation then you are either going to run the stock transmission or get something else to drive.

That's just how it is. :)

Driving another car is not an option. I am in love with the cars. So you all are stuck with me ;) i am not meaning to sound cheap. I meant buy a donor sc. I dont ever intend to stop working on my car. And i am not the "easy way out" kinda guy. I dont mind machining parts and figuring things out. I come to this site for more efficient answers. Point is, if you know of a transmission that would work with mods, not sayin you do, i would like to know those options as well. I am not tryin to be difficult. I am just attempting to explain myself as an sc owner. I appreciate the help and already have a couple leads on stock 5 speeds

No it will not work, your beating a dead horse unless you want to do research, fabrication, and spend $$ that it will take to make anything else work.

As an academic question, what about an M5R2 transmission from another Ford vehicle (not just a supercoupe)?

* 1988-1996 Ford F-150 (4.9 L {300 ci} inline-6 engine and 5.0L 302 ci)
* 1988-1996 Bronco (4.9 L {300 ci} inline-6 and 5.0 L {302 ci} V8 engine)
* 1989-1995 Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe (3.8 L OHV V6 Supercharged engine)
* 1989-1990 Mercury Cougar XR-7 (3.8 L OHV V6 Supercharged engine)
* 1997-2008 Ford F-150 4.2 L V-6 & 4.6 L V-8 engine
* 2006-present Ford Ranger/Mazda BT-50 (2.5/3.0 L inline-4 Commonrail turbocharged Diesel engine)
* 2007-present Ford Everest (2.5/3.0 L inline-4 Commonrail turbocharged Diesel engine)

How much is transferrable into a SC/Tbird application?

-g

It seems the shifter location is farther back through internal mechanisms on the sc.

Yes, there are minor yet major differences. The main one being that the output shaft on the SC trans is longer than the others and the rear housing extension is also longer to match the shaft and relocated shifter housing.

The M5R2 is a very nice shifting and reliable transmission so for 95% of all applications there is no logic or sense to replacing it with something else. If you want to get exotic you can put a T56 in but it would have to be from a Camaro or GTO to get the shifter even close to the stock location. Then you have to buy all the adapters and so on to even make it work. There are numerous threads on here about doing so. The T56 option is not going to be cheap, count on spending $2000-3000 to make it work.

With the relative plethora of stock transmissions available at minimal cost and the availability of rebuild parts, it just doesn't make sense to try to shoehorn in something that doesn't really fit.

Anyway, do some searching around on this sight, there is plenty of info out there.

The 05+ TR3650 shifter is in the right location, that is why I brought it up. Though I don't know how durable they are.

The 05+ TR3650 shifter is in the right location, that is why I brought it up. Though I don't know how durable they are.

The remote shifter is not that great to retrofit IMO. Then you get to deal with the fact that the bell housing is made for a modular engine. And not the SBF pattern that we have. Now soon the T-56 magnum that will fit the new s197 mustangs will come out and those you can interchange the bell housing to an aftermarket SBF pattern. But we are talking $$ expect to pay at least 4k for that sway since you have to buy the transmission new. And I think they will probably have a sticker of $2800-$3000.

What engine do you have?

Thanks for the info. I am tryin to round up all the components to do a swap. I think i saw a list on here. I dont know a whole lot about transmissions so i wouldn't just know if something was missing. All the pieces need to be there to begin with.

Back