Laptop requirements for Moates

nickleman60

I'm stepping up to the Moates deal, I'm no computer wiz so what's the basic requirements needed on a laptop to run a Moates setup. I would think that speed, screen size (if you're half blind...lol) battery life would be important but what else? I'm not looking to live on the thing and it's just for running the program on my car. I don't want to spend a ton of money for something that has just one purpose.

I think Frazier is running a 1.8 on a Lenova, not sure. I was in the same boat as you on what I wanted. Screen size, battery life, and I also added LED screen. I ended up going ahead and purchasing a dual core AMD Athlon and added 4 gig of RAM to get it up to 6gig. I added the LED due to being able to see it at the track and also saves on battery life. I also went with the Windows 7 and upgraded to the 64bit version. No sense in cutting yourself short on this and I also use mine for other stuff. Windows has a pretty cool feature of a total system restore from backup, if you set it up, and not just an operation systems restore.

I think Frazier is running a 1.8 on a Lenova, not sure. I was in the same boat as you on what I wanted. Screen size, battery life, and I also added LED screen. I ended up going ahead and purchasing a dual core AMD Athlon and added 4 gig of RAM to get it up to 6gig. I added the LED due to being able to see it at the track and also saves on battery life. I also went with the Windows 7 and upgraded to the 64bit version. No sense in cutting yourself short on this and I also use mine for other stuff. Windows has a pretty cool feature of a total system restore from backup, if you set it up, and not just an operation systems restore.

I was looking at this one, what do you think?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pa...wter/2285026.p?id=1218318237922&skuId=2285026

Check out used laptops like the Dell outlet. anything they sell today would work.

If you need a serial port (moates doesn't need it, but many wide band sensors like stuff from Innovate do, though that's changing) you ideally want a machine with a Express Card slot or a PC Card slot, since adapters for them that provide serial ports are more reliable than a usb serial port.

If it is a laptop built in the past 5 years, it will have enough CPU power to data log just fine. For reliable performance you will want some way to power the laptop when in the car, either an inverter, or a 12v power supply for it. During data logging, battery life will be reduced significantly. (screen is running, drive is running, usb ports are going crazy, and if you have a serial port it's going as well).

A bigger screen can be handy to make it easier to see things when you are working with it. But you can get by with a smaller one.

If you are doing this just for your car, I'd consider something like a RAM mount to hold the laptop and support the screen, especially if street tuning. Looking at the laptop in the passenger seat is a pain if you spend any time doing it, and picking it up and hold it in front of you usually tangles a bunch of wires you have hooked up. Mount it with a system in one place that makes it easy to see FTW.

Not to be cheap, but I like to use these:

Ebay Lenovo Thinkpad

I like the Lenovo because they are professional grade vs. consumer grade and these are generally two year old off-lease units that are still in great shape. The only thing I'd add is that I like having a car charger vs. having to use an inverter, and you'll probably want to pick up an extra capacity battery.

I've been banging around my R60 for 5 years now and it still functions great.

Regardless of what computer you choose, make sure that you sample the touchpad and make sure that it is easy to use, that it responds accurately to your touch and the buttons are easy to press/find without really searching for it.

You'll be using it from the driver's seat with one hand while the laptop is setting somewhat unstable on the passenger seat. Make sure you can operate it easily with one hand. This probably sounds dumb, but my buddy has a brand new laptop of some sort (don't know the brand), and I can't operate the touchpad with one hand properly with the laptop sitting on the seat. It's extremely frustrating to use.

I'm with Dave on this. If you can get yourself a T series Lenovo you'll be set. If you are looking for something ultra portable you may want to take a look at laptops with the Intel Atom chipset.

Lenovo has an outlet you may want to check out if you don't want to use the eBay route. http://outlet.lenovo.com/.

Whatever route you take ALWAYS search for coupons. I regularly get $300+ off of my Lenovos when I order through coupons.

I bought a 2 year old Dell Inspiron on Ebay for $150 when I got my QH. Runs well, Windows XP, AMD Athlon dual processors, 2 gig RAM, 70 gb hard drive, 15" monitor. The only bad side is with the screen on bright it eats the battery pretty fast so I purchased a small inverter that I always leave in the car.

I use a Dell netbook and it works great. The mouse pad kind of sucks. Double Deez loves this thing.

I hate track pads when sitting in a car and sweating.
Switching to one of these with my recently purchased Dell Lattitude e6500
logitech-wireless-trackball-m570.png

Everyone has their preferences. I have an HP probook and love the LED screen because it is much easier to see outside when at the track.

If this is something you plan on leaving in your car, why not just use a cheapie laptop w/ a serial port? I'm sure you can get one for well under $100 (esp if you don't need the battery to work -- you can always plug it into an inverter).

I think I have a few of these laying around (Pentium-III class machines).
-g

The lenovo I have now is great! it has the high cap battery and lasts a long time. Screen is a little small 15" but what you'll be doing at the track in the car (dash board screen) is plenty big to see. I just leave the pointer on the start stop button and tap the mouse button after the burnout to start the log. I wouldn't get a net book unless you mount it to the dash or floor so it is right next to you, not on the passenger seat.

first thing I recommend doing is finding a geek to swap out the stock hard drive in that for an SSD. It'll enjoy life on the road better and they are getting to a reasonable price for 30gig or so. No need for the 200gig + stuff for a tuning laptop.

Only downside, looks like USB are the only ports available.

Back