fuel gauge pegs on empty

tripntx

My fuel tank is full, but the gauge pegs on empty when the key is turned on. It rests at 1/4 when the inginition is turned off. Where do I need to start troubleshooting.

Here's new info and new question added Aug 26, 03:
My VIMM panel fuel gauge light comes on at approximately 240 miles and this requires 12 gallons to fill up. Fuel gauge is still pegged on empty.

Does the VIMM gauge light work off the same sender as the dash fuel gauge?

I'm about ready to change the tank to a '93+ model but I'm curious about the sender in it now.

Last edited:
mine does the same thing, where is it at and how do we replace them, and how much does it cost, if you say anything to do with gas tank and dropping or moving, then ill let mine be weird all it wants,

thunderbird89sc said:
if you say anything to do with gas tank and dropping or moving, then ill let mine be weird all it wants,

LoL.. Let it be wierd then.. The sending unit is IN the gas tank dood.. Thats where the fuel pump is also attached to.. Good time to upgrade the pump also if you havent already done it..

I ohmed pins 3 to 18 on the 18 pin connecter behind the cluster. The tank is full but the gauge is reading empty. Instead of having 154 to 162 ohms, I have 0 ohms. Not open, but perfect continuety. Either the wire is shorted to ground or the sender is shorted inside. At this point, would y'all drop the tank and change the sender or start looking for a shorted wire?

Where should I purchase a sending unit? Ford or O'Reilly? What do they normally cost?

O'Reilly and Napa can not get them. They only have a listing for N/A 3.8.

Both Autozone and Ford offers them but as a unit with the fuel pump. Ford wants $175 and Autozone want $119.

I do not want a stock pump. Does anybody know where I can get the sending unit with a 190 or 255 pump? Or, where I can get the sending unit without a pump?

My VIMM panel fuel gauge light comes on at approximately 240 miles and this requires 12 gallons to fill up. Fuel gauge is still pegged on empty.

Does the VIMM gauge light work off the same sender as the dash fuel gauge?

I'm about ready to change the tank to a '93+ model but I'm curious about the sender in it now.

I would recommend following the procedures for troubleshooting the fuel level guage out of the Helm's Manual page 13-01-25 (Pinpoint B). That will help you narrow it down.

Michael Mattix
Thanks for replying. I have a Helms at home and I'll check the section your refering too. What I'm curious about and the reason for my bringing this 10 month old post alive now is:

What sender does the VIMM use to turn on the low fuel light on the VIMM?

I agree there's more trouble shooting to do and I'll use the Helm's. But, if the VIMM uses the same sender as the gauge, then the wires going to the gauge are shorted somewhere between the tank and cluster.

1BADSC
Are you sure I need to fill the tank????

Here's the readings I took last October.
I ohmed pins 3 to 18 on the 18 pin connecter behind the cluster. The tank is full but the gauge is reading empty. Instead of having 154 to 162 ohms, I have 0 ohms. Not open, but perfect continuety. Either the wire is shorted to ground somewhere or the sender is shorted inside the tank.

tripntx,

I just bought a 90SC and have the same problem but I have not let the tank go dry enough to find out if the VIMM sensor is working properly or not. I am going to try to find out some answers but if you figure it out I would love to hear how you resolved it.

direct email is billandemily@netzero.net

sc in az,
I'm averaging 20 mpg, my vimm low level comes on around 240 miles and takes around 12 gallons to fill it up at this point. Since these tanks hold more than 17 gallons, I feel safe doing this. But, I will fix my gauge next month.

Will be installing a new style tank for easier exhaust routing and I want to solve the gauge problem by then.

Back