PDA

View Full Version : Sc motor in an early Bronco

Bronco SC
04-19-2011, 06:38 PM
I am putting a '90 3.8 SC and AOD in my '71 Bronco,I know of 1 other guy on the Classic Bronco fourm doing this swap just curious if anyone on this board has done an SC swap into a vintage vehicle. I'll be lurking around this site looking for parts and trying to learn more about the SC engine from you guys, hope I don't get kicked off the board for this unconventional swap. Anyone in Northcentral Indiana I'd like to hear from you.

BirdofPrey97
04-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Welcome. There are several different chasis with the 3.8 SC in it now, so a Bronco should be a welcome set up. :)

Thomas95SC
04-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Were not that picky to kick you off. What made you go with the SC motor? Kinda gets expensive to mod if you go that route.

forcedbird94
04-20-2011, 07:51 AM
I am putting a '90 3.8 SC and AOD in my '71 Bronco,I know of 1 other guy on the Classic Bronco fourm doing this swap just curious if anyone on this board has done an SC swap into a vintage vehicle. I'll be lurking around this site looking for parts and trying to learn more about the SC engine from you guys, hope I don't get kicked off the board for this unconventional swap. Anyone in Northcentral Indiana I'd like to hear from you.

that IS AWSOME i love broncos send pics because i do wanna see this project

Regul8r
04-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Welcome to the board!

That should be a great combination.
Look forward to watching your progress.

forcedbird94
04-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Now i wanna go buy a bronco for my 429

pro street rich
04-20-2011, 12:30 PM
I have been into old bronco's for years. I have a 70 with a glass body and a 543 inch big block with TWO stages of "NOS" on it. I have owned more than 30 old bronco's over the years. I have a great parts supply of stuff left over. Most of these bronco's were used in my snow plowing business, so with that being said there is not a lot of sheet metal left that is good. I do have a lot of front/rear axles and gear cases left as well. Let me know if you need anything...
I also have a ton of S.C. stuff around here as well. I have done my fair share of making them rare by cutting up a bunch of them as well. ....Rich

Bronco SC
04-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Were not that picky to kick you off. What made you go with the SC motor? Kinda gets expensive to mod if you go that route. I was planning on a 4.0/aode from an Explorer but the Bronco guys all seem to go with the 5.0 they thought the 4.0 would devalue the truck. A couple of them said the 3.8 SC would be the only V-6 they would consider then one of them posted a link for a 3.8 SC on Craigslist it was low miles with trans included so I bought it .

forcedbird94
04-21-2011, 07:19 AM
I was planning on a 4.0/aode from an Explorer but the Bronco guys all seem to go with the 5.0 they thought the 4.0 would devalue the truck. A couple of them said the 3.8 SC would be the only V-6 they would consider then one of them posted a link for a 3.8 SC on Craigslist it was low miles with trans included so I bought it .

yeah 4.0 are good motors tho all the ones i have built seem to run great sc a 4.0 and stick that in there

90turbo1
04-21-2011, 01:31 PM
There is a 3.8s/c powered isuzu trooper driving around here in spokane, and also a super charged 3.8 gm powered trooper. those motors like off road and large tires due to torque they make.

sorry not a bronco, but it would be very dooable it seems

seawalkersee
04-25-2011, 12:58 AM
I am a HUGE Bronco fan. Too poor to have more than one (and two t-birds so far). I would like to see pix of it.

Oh, and get with Rich. Met with him a few years ago when he was through town and he knows more than he lets on...

SWS

Bronco SC
04-25-2011, 07:43 PM
It's in the body shop right now, once he pulls the body off I'll start the engine/trans install. I'll post some pictures once it looks like something again.

ScrapSC
04-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Is that the same body style as the 68??? I know a fella that has one with the 302 in it.

I also ran into a fella that put a 3.8 SC engine into a Fiero!!!!!!

pro street rich
05-01-2011, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=ScrapSC;941359]Is that the same body style as the 68??? I know a fella that has one with the 302 in it.

The 66 thru 77 are almost the same. there are a few changes, but to the untrained eye they are the same. Now they are super collector units.

The one I have that is all done is a 70 with a full glass body and a 543" engine with two stages of "nos" to add to the mix.....Rich

DangerousDarren
07-09-2011, 10:34 PM
i thought it would be cool to do a bronco II, but can't get past the fact they are ugly, lol. i have been toying with the idea of doing a 3.8 s/c into a mustang II, you can get them cheap and they are lighter than my t-bird. where are you at? i am in kokomo.

Jebus
11-03-2012, 09:33 AM
I'm going to revive this thread because I'm getting closer to the final install of an 89 SC into an 68 bronco. Lol, I'm the other bronco fool that wants this awesome engine in a bronco that Bronco SC mentioned in the original post. I'm going with a wide ratio TL 4spd/dana 20. It's from a manual trans car, that's why I'm going with a 4spd. I have the engine back out changing to the N/A steel pan for clearance. While it's out I have ordered a set of ARP's and going to the MLS head gaskets.
My question for the experienced ones is, what are the current MLs head gasket part numbers everyone is using. Would this kit have MLS gaskets in it?

Sealed Power SLP-260-1612

Or do I need to get these two also?

FelPro 9262PT & 9263PT MLS gaskets

I have the computer legend all pinned out, it sure is unique to EEC4.
Using a rice burner intercooler behind the grille.
Here's a couple of humble pics...

jclars
11-03-2012, 03:38 PM
That's what I'm talkin' about!!!

Except everything SC will fit in front on the F100, intercooler, AC coil, etc.

Keep up the good work! And keep the updates coming.

Viva la TB SC!

John L.

Jebus
11-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Nice! It's the people on this board posting video's of 3900 lb birds doin 11 second 1/4's with a V6, that got me interested!

jclars
11-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Actually for me it was a free bird and the fact that the IRS was a known conversion with adapter kit available. The supercharger and performance got me hooked afterwards. Now that it is in place, all the V8 naysayers (okay not all) have admitted it looks pretty darn mean!

The previous Tbird owner said that the rear hunkered down when punching it. If true, it should be a good fit for a light in the rear PU.

John L.

David Neibert
11-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Very cool projects.

David

pro street rich
11-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Hey do you need any parts for your bronco?? Seeing that it is a 68 you might want to step up to electric wipers, dana 44 front or power steering for your ride. I have all this stuff if you do need anything. I have been into old broncos from new and still have a bunch of stuff sitting around... I also have a full glass body 70 with lots of toys on it that I might be looking to sell if you know of someone......Rich

Jebus
11-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks Rich, i appreciate the offer.
I have the 4x4x2 power steering kit on the floor, and the D30 front is great for street use. I am going to the disc kit there.
I have quite a list of upgrades sitting on the floor.
This bronco has less than 45,000 miles and was never taken offroad.
It was a utility vehicle for an aluminum plant all it's life.
I should be drawn and quartered, just for changing it, let alone if I ever take it "mudding"!

pro street rich
11-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Thanks Rich, i appreciate the offer.
I have the 4x4x2 power steering kit on the floor, and the D30 front is great for street use. I am going to the disc kit there.
I have quite a list of upgrades sitting on the floor.
This bronco has less than 45,000 miles and was never taken offroad.
It was a utility vehicle for an aluminum plant all it's life.
I should be drawn and quartered, just for changing it, let alone if I ever take it "mudding"!

Like I stated before I have been into these trucks since new. Heck I even got some of them new from Ford back in the day.
Now you said that you are planning on keeping the dana 30 front. Well I have broken those on the street before. The 44 is just stronger but they too will break with the right amount of power. Maybe this is due to the fact that I have always had a ton of power in my bronco's. You have to keep in mind that you are putting an engine that can make a ton of power as well.
I am just trying to help out here, by the way, what power steering box is that 4x4x2 I am not up on that one.. I still use the 76-77 ford box as it is only 3 3/4 turn lock to lock. I need that for the times I take this monster out on the trails or off road race it...
Like I said before if you need anything give me a yell. There is a chance I might have what you need.....Rich

fomoco74mav
05-13-2013, 10:03 PM
Still need help on the wiring? I missed your message