Crank Sensor Replacement

Cyboman

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me the play-by-play to replace the crank sensor on a '90 SC? I took a quick peek under the hood and it looks buried. I'd rather not disassemble things unnecessarily. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Michael

You only need to take the belt off, then remove the plastic cover (couple of bolts). Then you will just be able to sneak a skinny 7/32" (5.5mm) deep-well socket onto the mounting bolts. This is IF I recall correctly.

You only need to take the belt off, then remove the plastic cover (couple of bolts). Then you will just be able to sneak a skinny 7/32" (5.5mm) deep-well socket onto the mounting bolts. This is IF I recall correctly.
Which belt has to go, and which plastic cover are you talking about? Do I need to adjust it once I get it back on? Can anyone verify these steps?

Thanks for replying.

Michael

Which belt has to go, and which plastic cover are you talking about? Do I need to adjust it once I get it back on? Can anyone verify these steps?

Thanks for replying.

Michael

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the crank pulley must come off too. :rolleyes: So loosen the crank pulley bolts (4), take the main serpentine belt off the crank pulley, then remove the crank pulley. Then you will see the cover. Once that is off, then you should see the sensor to the left of the balancer.

You do need to adjust it on installation. You can slide it toward and away from the crank centerline. It has to be so that the metal vanes on the back of the balancer will pass through the sensor's gap without contact. Try using a matchbook cover to set the distance from the sensor head to the vane.

I changed one on my 91 in less than 3 mins . did not have to remove anything but the hardware holding the sensor. wiggled it around to get it out . plugged new one in and dropped it back in place no more dieing engine !!!!!!!! :)

I changed one on my 91 in less than 3 mins . did not have to remove anything but the hardware holding the sensor. wiggled it around to get it out . plugged new one in and dropped it back in place no more dieing engine !!!!!!!! :)
Are the '90 and '91 the same?

Michael

Back