sc bucking..but, randomly?

redline_biker89

Just got me an 89 sc! LOVE THE CAR :) so problem is it runs great when its running good..but randomly it will just start chugging..and hard. Sometimes it will fire right up no problem..sometimes it will be a real pain to start. When it is running good the tach does not work, suddenly it will chug once and the tach will kick on...then soon it starts kicking after a couple min., like its only firing half the engine, very violent.. if I shut off the car and restart it sometimes it fixes it immedietly and sometimes not. No fault codes. Any ideas guys???

sounds

Sounds just like the cam sensor. It is a round flat disc that is in place of the distributor on the SC. Right above the water pump.

Remove it and see if there is oil inside the sensor...if so, replace it and look into replacing the seal on the cam shaft sensor shaft.

If not, replace it and your issue is resolved.

Other issue could be either balancer wobbling (pulley on the bottom not spinning true) or the DIS module (thing on top of a/c comnpressor bracket.

Try the cam shaft sensor first.

Bad Cam sensor. Bad battery connections. Strange theres no codes. Clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump maybe.

I got the fuel pump checked.. cause from past experiences I thought it was going out..I'm taking it into the shop today, thanks a lot for the suggestions guys!

Be careful goin to garages. Theres not a whole lot of them that know these cars exist let alone know how they work. Your best bet is to stick around this site and learn how to make your own repairs. The cam sensor is $35 and takes 5 minutes to switch. If you take it to get fixed, you can stop back here and ask our opinions of what they think is wrong.

Wow

My 90 xr7 sc does the same thing. New cam sensor replaced. But still crap either dis module or crank sensor. Working on car tomorrow will let u guys kno if it does the tricc

Yes, it was the DIS on mine when it had these signs. Let us know where you are at and there is probably someone close enough to you to help figure it out.

Several times local members have taken parts off and lent to others to see what the problem was.

IME your best bet is changing all 3 ignition related components at once, the cam sensor, crankshaft position, and DIS module, everytime one went out on my cars the other 2 followed shortly there after EVERYTIME

the sc gremlins forbade it

Tru

Decipha ur so correct brotha. Daz da best way to do it. I changed da cam now its time for the dis n crank. Only problem iz no1 in my area has a dis module. Iam in west palm beach does any1 have an idea or a website to find a new dis module.

Yo

Dis module fixed issue. Try that n u shud be fine iam puttin da crank sensor in tomorrow jus to make da ignition system fresh

I am having this same exact issue with my 90 sc right now same exact symptoms, I am looking into replacing the dis module does anybody know where I can get a deal on one as money is short right now any help would be appreciated

I am having this same exact issue with my 90 sc right now same exact symptoms, I am looking into replacing the dis module does anybody know where I can get a deal on one as money is short right now any help would be appreciated

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1140387&parttype=7060 - but make sure it's not "NON-SC" since they list both the coil/dist for the NA mixed with the DIS for the SC.

Add to that the latest discount code for 5% off.

Past that, nope.

RwP

I ordered a new dis module and new cam posistion sensor from rock auto installed both parts and now my car runs worse than it did before and it is harder to start than it was before. And now its new thing is that when I hit boost or even get close the car starts bucking violently and just about dies. I also forgot to mention that the parts I received from rock auto looked like crap they were dirty and the cam sensor had what looked to be rust on the sensor face. I am just about pulling my hair out at this point.

Haaaaa

Sorry todd but if da parts r rusted n dirty lookn chances are dat dey r not new. Got to supercoupeperformance.com he's got a kit dat comes with dis module cam sensor n crank sensor cuz daz wut goes wrong wit these damn cars

Sorry todd but if da parts r rusted n dirty lookn chances are dat dey r not new. Got to supercoupeperformance.com he's got a kit dat comes with dis module cam sensor n crank sensor cuz daz wut goes wrong wit these damn cars

Kids this is a site that people have to be able to read the english language on. Please type your message out. This short hand stuff is a pain in the AZZ to EED.

Rust is not good as you found out. Did you post where you were located so others could possibly come over and help?

If English is not your native language, may I suggest a ESL (English as Second Language) course?

If it IS - why do you type like this? THIS ... is not English. It's not even American. it's almost an insult to Ebonics to call it that ...

What it IS - is "White Trailer Trash" talk. The stuff that the overweight guy with the wifebeater on, holding the bottle of the cheapest beer he could buy, would say while proving his 78 IQ. And why third grade was the five best years of his life.

Try using English as a tool, like any you use.

It's amazing what precision English is capable of.

The main problem is, it takes a precise mind to use it that way.

RwP

Did you konw that poelpe oeftn udtnsnared what tehy read eevn if selpinlg is ulcnaer.

back to the point. If you ever get something from Rock Auto that has a problem, give them a call. They'll take care of you.

A lot of people type like that now because they are to used to texting on there phones and using abbreviations. Very much a pain to read that stuff.

Back