PDA

View Full Version : Adjust Susp Tech info

EatonEmployee
04-22-2011, 04:31 PM
I have a 93 & 1/2 yes Ford considers my car made in 94 but is a 93. Ford always tells me this. A 93 with every single option. Leather two part stereo/CD with the amps and even the roof and antenna are push button.

Anyway this gem only has 99k. Some girl hit me while doing a u-turn. I had it repaired but car wonders. I live in Portland ,Or and need a good SC suspension guy. If I am going to get into this unconventional adj susp, I want to put H&R's in, new bushings and a guy who knows SC's inside and out. Especially the suspension. The damage was minimal but she did hit my wheel. Cosmetically it is perfect now but I want the ridiculous handling back. If anyone knows an SC susp guy in Oregon please give me his info???

Lincolns

evil1
04-22-2011, 05:41 PM
If your car wasn't wandering before you got hit then you have something bent. take it in someplace and have the alignment checked, Have them do a SAI/Steering Axis Inclination, that test will show what is damaged. suspension parts bend easy when hit. also make sure that the wheel is true.

EatonEmployee
04-23-2011, 05:00 AM
Thanks. Our suspension is not McPherson. It is complicated. I am worried about one arm, link or even a frame a little out of whack. No, it was not wondering before. It was a beast. It pulls when accelerating hard mostly to the right but will switch and while in a hard turn will straighten for a second and make me correct. Like a wheel is shifting freely or a steering component. Handling has been compromised. I drive my SC hard. Like 45mph curves at 95 or plus. I have never owned a vehicle that couldn't easily double a posted turn speed. My SC was a treat to drive and now is scary. I was stopped by the police for swerving and I had one beer. So everyone says but was the case. I have driven a car with a bent A arm and this is a milder version. Any feedback? Can you explain this test to me and how it could possibly identify every suspension component? My wheel took most of the hit and am angered that this was not addressed. I work for Eaton and build aircraft components and maintain aircraft. Cars and planes are very similar so be as narrative as needed. Sorry for the TMI but I want to come at the shop loaded so they don't pacify me. I do not want to get rid of this beautiful SC but it's not safe.

regards, SSGT Bigley

XR7
04-23-2011, 06:52 AM
I know this may sound really strange...

But have you checked the engine mounts?...

I believe I have read posts in that past, that squirlly steering can be related to a collapsed engine mount..

I know personally my cars steering was a bit strange, and when I put the solid rubber engine mounts in the car... all worked fine..

Karl

rzimmerl
04-23-2011, 09:10 AM
An alignment will show which function is out of spec and then will require the technician to inspect the components that adjust that function. It really sounds like you just need to take it to a qualified technician instead of trying to figure it out yourself, and I would'nt be driving crazy or high at speeds your just asking for another accident. If the wheel took a hit directly most likely something is bent, frame or bolt on piece. Our suspension is not complicated, the only fancy thing is the adjustable shocks which are replaced by standard shocks without a problem.

evil1
04-23-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm in the collision repair industry, and that sounds like you have a badly damaged rack, Your car is unsafe at any speed! if the the car is pulling one way and the wheel goes slack and it starts pulling the other way the gear in the rack is damaged. You need a new rack, you should really get it in someplace and have the damage assessed ASAP!!! I strongly advise that if you drive it do it slowly very slowly!

EatonEmployee
04-23-2011, 05:02 PM
What you described is exactly what it's doing. The steering has slack then grabs. I think you hit the nail on the head. BTW, all the info you guys input is absorbed. My engine mounts are new and it drove great prior to accident.

I am not the worlds greatest driver. I am 37. I was outstanding in my youth and raced superbikes. Now a 90mph turn is just excitement & is like while entering a freeway cloverleaf. I was going 2mph during accident and doing a U turn. Steering totally turned left and she hit my wheel minimizing any real body damage but now I have exactly what Evil1 is describing. I mentioned the rack. It is making an odd noise when turning slowly and a little play. Sounds like a new rack.

One final question. I will take this opportunity to put H&R's in will I be better off with new shocks and will this create a susp light if I put performance shocks in?

RalphP
04-23-2011, 08:42 PM
One final question. I will take this opportunity to put H&R's in will I be better off with new shocks and will this create a susp light if I put performance shocks in?

It will (the FIRM RIDE light), unless you disable the Adjustable Ride Control by a) unplugging the control box, or b) pulling the fuse. Or c) just pull the light in the dash.

Or you could just cheat, leave the actuators connected to power, and wire tie them out of the way ...

They're a bit dumb, if it transitions, it doesn't know it wasn't connected (found THAT out when I opened the trunk and noticed one wasn't on my rear shock - which explained why the car was waggling its tail funny ... )

RwP