Super Charger question

B's Bird

I have looked around in the forum and am pretty sure I've not seen this issue described anywhere.

1991 SC with a 1992 SC engine in it. Auto came with donor engine.

Car sat for winter. Got it back on the road yesterday. No issues yesterday.

Today though there is something amiss when you push the throttle open.

If you ease off the line and continue to ease down the road, things are fine.

If you accelerate hard off the line things are good until around 45 MPH. At that point the boost gauge bounces around and there is a very noticeable hesitation and rough running feel. Boost doesn't seem to get past 4-5 PSI and power is gone. If you are running smoothly and then attempt to punch it, same hesitation and guage fluctuation.

Take your foot of the gas, things are fine.

I popped the hood and manually revved the engine and everything sounds normal and smooth.

But you get back in and try to drive with anger and the hesitation is there.

The whole car lurches.

Any ideas?

may also want to consider the dim module and coil. I am having the same issue with my 95 , plugs and wires have been changed still doing the exact same thing as you described. I am waiting on the dims before getting the coil.
Good luck to you with the plugs and wires but that may not be the entire problem.

Spark plugs and wires. It only acts up when you get into boost, correct?

Correct. Otherwise it's smooth running.

Andd we just came back from the driving range and it didn't act up. So it's intermittent... The worst kind of problem.

Plugs and wires were new last year. Could they have failed so quickly?

may also want to consider the dim module and coil. I am having the same issue with my 95 , plugs and wires have been changed still doing the exact same thing as you described. I am waiting on the dims before getting the coil.
Good luck to you with the plugs and wires but that may not be the entire problem.

Would the DIM module be the same between a 91 and a 92? I think I have the one from the 91 engine that blew it's head gasket.

Plug wires

My 94 did the same thing with plug wires only a couple months old, turned out a wire boot melted by the header so I replaced it and all is well.

Would the DIM module be the same between a 91 and a 92? I think I have the one from the 91 engine that blew it's head gasket.
Yes they would be. The change didnt happen I believe until the 94 model year. Not 100 percent on that but I know the 94's and 95's are just a bit different.

Sounds like plug wires. Its not usually so much that they wear out as they are routed in a way that rubs or melts through some part of the wire. Rev the engine in the dark and rev it for each plug wire inspection. Sometimes the arc can be difficult to see.

Just got results from the shop on what went wrong on the car and it's not good. The left head gasket went. Number one cylender has water.

Where you losing coolant? There shoulda been white smoke comin out the back. Pull the plug on the number 1 cylinder and check it yourself. Check the oil too. Not sayin they are wrong but i would think you would have more symptoms than a miss under boost

Where you losing coolant? There shoulda been white smoke comin out the back. Pull the plug on the number 1 cylinder and check it yourself. Check the oil too. Not sayin they are wrong but i would think you would have more symptoms than a miss under boost

It only just started acting up. Yes there was whiteish exhaust.

But we only noticed that after we noticed the "hesitation".

We get the car back Monday....

Back