My latest project

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
I bought a tandem axle boat trailer for $350 with 3500lb axles and surge brakes.

7.jpg

6.jpg

untitled.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

100MEDIA_IMAG0076.jpg

9.jpg

100MEDIA_IMAG0078.jpg

216826_156357707760582_100001590623325_374565_6731590_n.jpg

The deck is 6' 4" x 16' 2" all treated lumber.. Free scrap metal+free wood+$40 worth of welding wire.

Amazing what can be done with a Clarke 130en, .030 flux core wire, Harbor frieght 10" abrasive cutoff saw, 4 1/2" grinder with a cuttoff wheel, welding skills and a little time.

Last edited:
Now i just need to build some ramps and paint it! Also install the recessed D rings i bought. So far $400 total investment. I figured if im fixing my SC i need somthing to haul it with when it breaks :)

The axles sit quite a bit back. When you get the car loaded you might have a lot of tongue weight. For something to haul an ailing SC it looks like you found an inexpensive solution. I would be sure to pull all the wheel bearings and check and grease them all. Since Im sure the wheels have been in water often

ken

The center of the rear axle is 5' from the rear of the trailer. However they can be moved forward another 6" or so. also the axles have bearing buddies but I still repacked the bearings. Also I have a weight
Distribution hitch for my camper so I'm going to add a set of brackets so I can use it when
I haul cars.

Last edited:
The center of the rear axle is 5' from the rear of the trailer. However they can be moved forward another 6" or so. also the axles have bearing buddies but I still repacked the bearings. Also I have a weight
Distribution hitch for my camper so I'm going to add a set of brackets so I can use it when
I haul cars.

I could wrong but your surge brakes won't work right with a weight distribution hitch.

Good point! Didn't think about that .. I Will just have to see how it pulls and be careful how I load.

Last edited:
I highly recommend the hobart handler 135 as far as 110v
Welder are concerned they can't by beat for the price! If you
Decide to do a project like this with 110v use .030 flux core wire
You will get much better penetration than using shielding gas with
One of these small units. Also put 3/passes on everything! If you are
A half descent Welder it will never come apart.

Back