Thermostat Housing

Belisarius

I did a search here and found that there are quite a few people with thermostat housing problems but no one makes this part. My mechanic tells me that the flange that attaches the housing to the engine is wimpy sheet metal, on my car it is bent - thus causing the leak - and that it's NLA from Ford. And the non-SC part is different.

How hard would this part be to make? How many people think they need one? how many would be interested in a part with a more substantial flange?

Inquiring minds want to know.

David

This is what i did. I have a 12"disc sander and i resurfaced my t-stat housing. You cant take a whole lot off cause the t-stat is recessed but theres enough that you can resurface it. Mine turned out perfect.

Make sure you use the right gasket and also use the grey Permatex thermostat RTV and it should alleviate your leaks.

The T-stat housings are available on the used market. I've got 2 or 3 myself. I use my belt sander on them and they flatten right out. Definitely, Ford should have used 3 bolts on this housing.

Failing any other option ... You could probably get creative with the JB weld and then sand that flat once it cured.

Back