Fan won't turn off

VINCES

So I drive in to work today, car running great, perfect 59 degrees outside, crusing down the highway....pull into parkinmg garage at work, get out of the car, and cooling fan is still running, while car is shut off, and car is clearly running cool. I don't ever even recall any of my SC's having the fan still run after key was off even when needle was approaching half way.

any reason all of a sudden it would stay on? I am going to run down and see if it still is. No modifications to car minus exhaust, no cutting of wires, etc, as i read a bunch of other threads already...

thanks!

I just checked the car, it waqs still running. of course i don't have the manual with me but i looked on net and found the right mega fuse and pulled it so it wouldn't run all day here while i am at work. Could it be the IRCM?

I just checked the car, it waqs still running. of course i don't have the manual with me but i looked on net and found the right mega fuse and pulled it so it wouldn't run all day here while i am at work. Could it be the IRCM?

I think it is probably the IRCM. Maybe the relay contacts welded themselves together or something. (This assumes that the EEC is not doing this on purpose because of a bad sensor input.)

I am familiar with the 90 IRCM, but I assume that the 94 IRCM is 80% similar. (If not, someone correct me.) The IRCM box is riveted shut, but you can drill those out and service the stuff inside. The fans use mini-relays, so you may not find them everywhere, but they are not one-off custom parts. With some careful soldering, they can be replaced.

thanks for the reply. Lucjkily, i have an extra one from the car i had an accident with ('95) and didn't sell all of the parts yet. PLus that was something i would have help onto anyway, and not sold. Of course after about 3 years in my garage, i just moved everythign to storage, so i will have to look there for it. That mounts up in front somewhere right? near radiator support, i forget off top of my head...

I usually wait to hit things until my aggravation level gets a littel higher, but your sugggestion is noted....

On my 1990, it is behind the passenger side headlight.

If you find the 95 one and the swap fixes it, I would still suggest to look at the 94 one. It's not hard to fix, if it is a bad relay. Then you would have a spare.

Agreed! I love having spares...like when i broke the clip on one of the ARCS....at least they are interchangeable and FOrd didn't make then wheel specific. I broke a clip not to long ago on r P/S cap/dipstick, and swore i had the whole cpmplete pump, but it still hasn't turned up.

Back