Radiator Fan doesn't shut off

johnwartjr

95 SC auto
Bone stock
150k+ (odo quit years ago, never fixed)

Noticed tonight that the radiator fan doesn't turn off when I turn the ignition off. Specifically, the one behind the radiator.

It was after midnight, car had only been running 5 minutes. Upper hose was warm to the touch. Checked coolant level, a bit low, topped it up. Don't think this is the root cause.

Unhooked the battery cables, as I didn't want to run the battery flat. As soon as I hook the battery back up, the fan runs.

Is this likely a relay problem? If so, whereabouts are the relays? Any tips/tricks/etc are appreciated!

Thanks!

Smack the IRCM with something solid. The fan relay is sticking. Its the small black box in front of the air cleaner bolted onto the radiator frame.

I smacked the IRCM with a small block of wood and that fixed it.

Thanks for the info.

Cranked it up and noticed the main drive belt is starting to come apart. I have a new one, because I bought a new water pump, heater core, belts and hoses last year when I replaced the radiator.

And it looks like I have to pull the lower radiator hose to route the new belt.. great! How hard is it to change the other 2 belts with basic hand tools? If the main one is about to go, the others can't be far behind!

Thanks!

All you need is an 18mm socket and ratchet (breaker bar works too) and a 3 inch extension... put the tool on the bolt holding the pulley on the tensioner and rotate it clockwise like you're trying to tighten the bolt. IIRC, all three tensioners rotate the same way. The jackshaft and SC belt can be a bit tight to get back on, but everything is designed in such a way to make the process pretty simple. Also, yes, you do have to remove the lower rad hose from the water pump to replace the main belt. Don't forget to loosen the bleeder bolt on the t-stat housing when you fill the coolant back up. I'm pretty sure it took me longer to type this than it will take to replace the belts, lol.

Dang, those belts are TIGHT. I have the old belts off, but can't get the 2 smaller ones to go back on.

Any tips/tricks/hints? I spent nearly 2 hours trying, and all I have to show are bruised palms from holding the tensioner all the way to the side!

Just keep at it. Those belts will go on there. Sometimes you just need to stand in the right spot to get the correct amount of leverage. An extra set of hands and a pair of gloves may come in handy too.

2nd set of hands worked like a charm. Got everything buttoned up tonight and took the car out for a ride :)

Thanks for the advice!

Back