need help asap cant get drive shaft down

flopes64

I am doing tranny on 90 sc never done 1 before !!!
I dropped the back 2 bolts of the gas tank and the drive shaft will not come down enough what else has to be loosened ?

Have you removed both driveshaft safety loops?

'bird

jg536F6th.jpg

They both should be obvious, they're U-shaped peices of bar bolted to the underside of the car near the front & rear u-joints. If you have the tank out and the rear driveshaft flange unbolted then the rear of the driveshaft should drop and be resting on the rear safety loop right now.

'bird

drive shaft

try pushing the shaft up and over the diff. found out about this after taking everything off the botton side of my 93 to pull the tranny-mike

1.) take the whole gastank outta there
2.)take all the micelanious heat sheilds off
3)u will see 2 horeshoe shaped bars that bolt to the body (around the drive shaft)
4.)then the driveshaft should come out as far as i know lol

easier way

this might be to late unless you are dropping the tank to put in a upgraded fuel pump.

Well just for tranny removal you don't have to take out the gas tank. You can disconnect the drive shaft from the diff. Then you can take out all four bolts holding the diff to the frame. then the diff will drop. You might have to disconnect the exhaust from the back hangers to get the differential lowing enough for the driveshaft. You have enough room to pull the driveshaft back over the differential and out of the tranny. This is what I did and well seemed to same a lot of hastle with dropping a gas tank with gas in there.

Well something to consider next time you do it, if to late now.

Raymond

I've pulled the tranny 2 times in the last 3 months, so here is what you'll need to do to remove the tranny..

1st. Remove the Whole exhaust (do not remove the manifolds)
2nd. Remove the drive shaft safty U-Bolts (front and rear)
3rd. Disconnect the gas tank hoses in the back of the gas tank.
(you don't have to pull them off, just losen them)
4th. Place a jack with a board on it (to even out the pressure if you have allota gas in it.) under the gas tank.Remove the front two bolts for the gas tank straps. Lower the gas tank about 4 inches.

5th. Remove the driveshaft bolts and pull the drive shaft down below the diff and out the back of the car.

Now you can place a jack under the tranny and remove the crossmember bar.

Note: When you unbolt the tranny from the engine, you will need a jack under the back of the engine and raise it about 2 inches. Helped me remove it and put it back on allottttt easier.

flopes64.........I just replaced the tranny in my 90 Super Cougar. Here is what you need to do. Leave the gas tank in place. Unbolt (4 bolts) the drive shaft from the differential. Support the differential. Remove the two forward differential support bolts and bushings. Loosen but do not remove the rear two bolts supporting the differential. Let the differential drop down easy until it stops. Slide the driveshaft back and over top of the differential. That should do it!

Ed Springer

edspringer1@aol.com

90 Black Super Cougar 5-Speed
94 Red SC Auto

Back