Boost gauge reading 0 at idle

Condor232

I have a fresh 4.3L stroker, just put about 40 miles on it. Everything was reading ok, the vacuum was reading about 11-14 at idle. Then, after driving it today, it started reading 0 at idle and got into boost right away on light acceleration. Any ideas?

The gauge is a full electrical autometer gauge hooked up to a T coming right off the stock boost nipple on the upper IC intake tube.

Put a vacuum gauge on the same line the boost gauge is on and see what happens. Possible that is a bad gauge.

I think he's saying check it with a mechanical vacuum gauge to see if your electric one took an early dump.

I have a fresh 4.3L stroker, just put about 40 miles on it. Everything was reading ok, the vacuum was reading about 11-14 at idle. Then, after driving it today, it started reading 0 at idle and got into boost right away on light acceleration. Any ideas?

The gauge is a full electrical autometer gauge hooked up to a T coming right off the stock boost nipple on the upper IC intake tube.

Barring a broken gauge as mentioned above, the next likely candidate is a highly plugged exhaust such as a catalytic converter or two that have melted down inside.

Barring a broken gauge as mentioned above, the next likely candidate is a highly plugged exhaust such as a catalytic converter or two that have melted down inside.

So basically if the exhaust is highly plugged, the engine is working much harder to maintain needed rpm's and isn't allowing the vehicle to build vaccum at idle.

Chris

Last edited:
Back