Trans Fluid

Alex_Murrica

SCCoA Member
So I plan on draining all the old fluid out and replacing it with good quality fluid in hopes of getting rid of the synchro grind I have going into third gear at raised rpms. I was looking around and saw that the GM Synchromesh Trans Fluid is recommended, but I have available (for free) mobil 1 ATF synthetic transmission fluid that I imagine is very good quality. I was wondering if anyone would say it's worth shelling out the money for the GM fluid or will the Mobil 1 I have going to get the job done?

The grinding is probably due to a worn synchro ring. If all the other gears generally shift smoothly, I doubt new fluid would make a difference. In any case, I wouldn't use the mobil synthetic fluid in the M5R2/RKE with fiber-lined synchro rings. Unlined brass rings.. you could probably use any type of fluid and they would work the same.

FWIW, I tracked down and shelled out $500 for carbon fiber lined synchro rings to rebuild my m5r2 and used the pennzoil fluid + friction modifier. Its working great.

The grinding is probably due to a worn synchro ring. If all the other gears generally shift smoothly, I doubt new fluid would make a difference. In any case, I wouldn't use the mobil synthetic fluid in the M5R2/RKE with fiber-lined synchro rings. Unlined brass rings.. you could probably use any type of fluid and they would work the same.

FWIW, I tracked down and shelled out $500 for carbon fiber lined synchro rings to rebuild my m5r2 and used the pennzoil fluid + friction modifier. Its working great.

Yeah, I realize it is potentially the synchro but I have read a few cases where new fluid after along time such as the mobil 1 or gm synchromesh will eliminate the grinding so I'm going to try that before a rebuild

Back