Harmonic Damper (Balancer) for Duracast?

Chris @ BHJ

Hi everybody, Chris at BHJ here.

Last week, we received a used (broken) factory damper from a customer looking to get his 1989 Super Coupe back on the road. This part he sent is clearly for use on an externally-balanced crankshaft, as it has a counterweight similar to what one would see on a 302/5.0, etc.

The stock appearing, steel Super Coupe pulley (PN: E9SE-6312-CA) is bolted on the front and it has the three-window ignition reluctor bolted on the back.

The part number machined into the damper itself is E9SE CA K 88. This appears immediately clockwise of the 30 degrees BTC marks.

I spoke to Bill Evanoff and he thinks this might go to a Duracast crank motor. Looking at some threads, I saw some info suggesting the Duracast was externally balanced. There is a FAQ as well, but I am unable to access it, so I can look no further.

BHJ does not currently make an externally-balanced Super Coupe damper and I'd like to help steer this customer in the right direction. Any help positively identifying this part number or situation is greatly appreciated, as always.

I will upload some photos next...

Cheers,
Chris @ BHJ

Hi Chris

E9SE 6312 CA does show in the Ford parts catalogue as the I.D. number for the early Duracast crank.

Not sure where to get a replacement though!!

cheers
Ed N.

This is the part:

Part number detail:
BTCE9SECAK88_01.jpg

and overall view (more-or-less):
BTCE9SECAK88_02.jpg

Snout is broken-off and not in photo.

Thank you for the I.D. help and feedback. At this time, we do not plan to make a replacement part, considering the rarity of this crank and what sounds like availability of a replacement part for the NA version.

Thank you again,
Chris @ BHJ
Give me a shout any time!

Dave,

Were the n/a 3.8L balancers back then drilled and tapped for the reluctor ring attachment holes?

The non-SC engines used a distributor for the first few years so they would have no need for the ring and a crank sensor?

The OEM number for the non-SC balancer is different, not sure if they would interchange or not ... hmm.

cheers
Ed N.

Personally I suggest the customer either replace the crank or store the car for posterity.

If there is a difference between the Duracast damper and the base model damper, you might be able to swap out the broken snout with the base model snout, then have the assembly rebonded by Damper Doctor or some such business.

Also, if the older base model dampers don't have the holes drilled for the reluctor ring, you could either drill them, or use a damper from the later cars with the DIS and swap the reluctor ring to the early style.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114871&highlight=balancer+ring

I also concur that the Duracast model is such a rarity, I wouldn't want to use it for a daily driver ... both because of reliability concerns and the weird factor.

The OEM number for the non-SC balancer is different, not sure if they would interchange or not ... hmm.

cheers
Ed N.

Might that be because of the reluctor ring, which the non-SC cars didn't need?

If so, that would resolve the whole problem. If that was the case, then the non-SC damper could be used as is.

Back