SUSP PARTS HELP!!! Which shocks?

EatonEmployee

I need shocks / bushings for my 93 SC. The rear ones are busted and the front are leaking. I was in a collision but prior the car handled fabulous and after I got pulled over for "swerving". I posted info previously about my car wondering.

My question: I need shocks, want better springs and bushings. I was "thinking" H&R for the springs and energy suspension for the bushings. I just have no idea what shocks I should run with my car. It has the adj susp button. Tokico shocks? Lastly should the adj susp be kept connected or disconnected. Open or closed loop and how? I already drive it in the firm location so the "firm" light does not bother me. Or is a suspension issue like this a deal buster? Always appreciate feedback. My car is in the shop awaiting my direction. I don't trust people but this guy was referred and is honest to a fault.

If you want to keep the ARC the only shock you can get is Tokico. You really need to choose if you want to lower your car and how much before buying springs, or keep the stockers if you don't want it lowered. What bushings are you referring too?

Susp

Yes I would love my car lower. I want improved handling and appearance. I was referring to energy suspension. I need ball joints, front and rear shocks. I would like info on what to replace. Sounds like most are worn. Can you tell me the specific Tokico? Which retailer should I use. Summit doesn't specify SC and I know our susp is unique to the V8's and the 232's.

I have lowered all my cars for handling and aesthetic reasons. My SC seems to have a lot of wheel well showing so I can't go too low.

I really need some info. So ball joints and shocks need replacing. I am wanting to bring the car down as much as practical. I like the slammed look. I just won't sacrifice ride. It can be super stiff just not stupid if that make sense. No rubbing or bump stops.

Lincoln

I didn't know Energy Suspension made anything for our cars, I have all Ford and TRW replacement front end parts. If they are replacing the lower ball joints you're better off just replacing the entire lower control arm, and since its apart have them put in new FORD stut rod to arm bushings (not the MOOG ones). You can get springs from 3/4" up to 2" drop depending on the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Tockico

I just redid everything. control arms, bushing for everything. I got a set of tockico illumina 2s with tockico lowering springs from a store on ebay for about $500. car is just low enough, but doesnt hit in and out of parking lots. handles and rides nice. I put eibachs in my 94lx v8 and it handled, rode a little a better. but it was lower and would scrape rear valance exiting parking lots. But that might be the cheap shocks struts i used. Overall the sc looks rides nice. To do it again i would would go with eibachs. 3 vehicles and all were good with them. ?

Can you give me more info and opinions. 2 inches is mild. H&R was barely noticeable on my 93GT and was 1.75. If possible do you know a retailer for susp components that competitive? These Tokico's. They have plug-ins for the ARS?

I knew the foxes inside and out. I bought my car with 96k miles and I just turned 100k. My car is immaculate blk with blk leather and am finding it hard to swallow that these are bad. Energy susp makes every bushing for our car. Spinning Wheels even advertises them. I was also hoping for part numbers maybe so I can find the best price. I am new to the SC game. I was overwhelmed by the plugs but once I got in the could do them in 15 min next time. Knowledge is power guys and I have none. Worked on F-16's for 13 years and built Mustangs but the SC is a special beast. lol

Thanks

2" is the most you can get, and with 100k there could be many other parts worn other then the shocks. Still not seeing any Energy Suspension parts on Victor's website, and Energy does not list anything specific in their catalog for our car other then sway bar and differential mount bushings.

I bought my 91 gt 10 yrs ago and had h&r's installed and it went from sitting level to being lower in the rear. And the right rear sat 3/4'' higher but would bottom over raildroad tracks. Had them taken out and eibachs put in and totally happy. Their swaybars too. The fox is my #1 baby. The tockico IIs are a direct oe sc replacement. arc works. I got a mix of oe replacement and poly stuff based on what I learned on here.From ebay stores, supercoupe performanc and oreillys.QUOTE=EatonEmployee;941853]Can you give me more info and opinions. 2 inches is mild. H&R was barely noticeable on my 93GT and was 1.75. If possible do you know a retailer for susp components that competitive? These Tokico's. They have plug-ins for the ARS?

I knew the foxes inside and out. I bought my car with 96k miles and I just turned 100k. My car is immaculate blk with blk leather and am finding it hard to swallow that these are bad. Energy susp makes every bushing for our car. Spinning Wheels even advertises them. I was also hoping for part numbers maybe so I can find the best price. I am new to the SC game. I was overwhelmed by the plugs but once I got in the could do them in 15 min next time. Knowledge is power guys and I have none. Worked on F-16's for 13 years and built Mustangs but the SC is a special beast. lol

Thanks[/QUOTE]

My 1990 Annie was dropped 2" w/Eibach springs by a previous owner. Rear sway bar is larger and I swapped in (red) poly bushings. Running staggered tires F/R. Still has adjustable shocks.

I'm in Portland if you want to take a quick look, etc.

Ken

The Tokico Illumina IIs use the standard ARC activators, yes.

If you're looking for new bushings, especially in the rear, talk to DLF for his Delrin ones.

What he doesn't make, stick with Ford or Moog (Ford only for the strut rod to frame bushings).

That's my recommendation.

RwP

Susp almost there?? Few more answers, wanna keep this car.

I am working with alignment specialties. I am almost there had a convo with the guy and I thought my susp looked great but he says rear shock can be moved 1/4 back/forth with car on the ground.
Are the Tokico Illumina's the frtn-EU3689, rear-EE690? It says any T-bird 89-97 and has ERS, and also are adjustable. So, do I set them as low as possible before instal?? Is this the right one??

I also need the "link compensators" in the back? E9S52A972A

He said I needed new ball joints so I thought new control arm since it comes with it. I also am worried something or that may have been bent.

My question is where do I get these OEM parts, especially bushings and which ones should I replace given all that I am doing and WHAT RETAILER? Are the Tokico's I mentions the II's? I also am going with the Eibach pro as recommended so while this is apart what bushings should I replace. My SC looks like a new car inside and out. It put 205 to the ground on the dyno stock. I have a keeper. I want to keep it. If I can't do this I will just sell it and buy new technology. This is important and I try to chime in when people run into problems I have solved and learned by trial and error and found the 15 minute cure. Thank you SCCOA brotheres and sisters! I am an F-16 crew chief,a and built Mustangs. I'm 37 and hopefully can be part of the future of this forum. I want to keep this car going. It only just turned 100k.
Lincoln

First order of business... slow down.

Second perform a few simple searches so you can read what others have alread wrote about this subject. There are a few opinions and even fewer options.

Rockauto is a good resource for low cost parts, make sure you read up first. Buying and installing cheap Chinese or Indian stuff may net you a trip back in within a year or two.

There are lots of resources, try reading up at TCCoA also for articles common to the MN12 chassis.

Good luck with your resto.

I am working with alignment specialties. I am almost there had a convo with the guy and I thought my susp looked great but he says rear shock can be moved 1/4 back/forth with car on the ground.
Are the Tokico Illumina's the frtn-EU3689, rear-EE690? It says any T-bird 89-97 and has ERS, and also are adjustable. So, do I set them as low as possible before instal?? Is this the right one??

Looks like the Tokico part numbers are correct, but I can't be 100% sure. I think those are the Illumina IIs. (I hear the stock shocks are Illumina Is, and are about the same, except the IIs might be slightly firmer.)

The adjustment is not in height. It's in firmness. So you would install the shock as usual, but if you have lowering springs, it just won't use 100% of the possible travel.

I also need the "link compensators" in the back? E9S52A972A

If they are worn out, then yes. These would typically be replaced with the rear LCA to frame bushings. The rear does not have ball joints.

He said I needed new ball joints so I thought new control arm since it comes with it. I also am worried something or that may have been bent.

That could be upper or lower front control arms. You can only get entire arms for the uppers. You can get whole arms for the lowers, or replace the bushings and ball joints on the existing arms. It's usually cheaper to get whole arms, but it's hard sometimes to find the SC-specific arms with stiffer arm-to-frame bushings. Non-SC ones will work, though. Buy TRW, Motorcraft, or Moog. (TRW made the parts originally, but were bought out by Federal-Mogul, and have been merged into Moog, so those parts may be all gone now. But Moog still makes good arms. And Motorcraft parts are pretty good, even though they are no longer made by TRW.)

My question is where do I get these OEM parts, especially bushings and which ones should I replace given all that I am doing and WHAT RETAILER? Are the Tokico's I mentions the II's? I also am going with the Eibach pro as recommended so while this is apart what bushings should I replace. My SC looks like a new car inside and out. It put 205 to the ground on the dyno stock. I have a keeper. I want to keep it. If I can't do this I will just sell it and buy new technology. This is important and I try to chime in when people run into problems I have solved and learned by trial and error and found the 15 minute cure. Thank you SCCOA brotheres and sisters! I am an F-16 crew chief,a and built Mustangs. I'm 37 and hopefully can be part of the future of this forum. I want to keep this car going. It only just turned 100k. Lincoln

You can try RockAuto, NAPA, Advance Auto, and Autozone. They all have a decent selection of parts for these cars (although they rarely have anything in stock in the stores anymore). Check the prices. Also, definitely check with SupercoupePerformance.com and SpinningWheels-SC.com. They have the right stuff in stock and may do price matching as well.

Hang in there, you can do it.

Great info

I like all the info. Yes, I try to solve everything at once. Working on fighters in combat has me hypervigilant and I am working on calming down. lol. I just have my SC in the shop, the insurance co, breathing down my neck and I am responsible for ordering the parts unless I pay the mark up. I also am currently moving. Hectic.

Great advice. We have larger bushings and I also am familiar with rock auto. I found many retailers but will read more on the previous post and the MN12 link. Thank you.

Back