gear shift handle removal ???

anlo

whats the secret to removing gearshift handle on an automatic? previous owner appearantly removed it before.. and ripped the two white wires that activate the o d cancel.. there has to be some stupid easy trick to pull shift handle off??/ thanks

Feel around the front of the handle and you will find an indentation that houses a small "U" clip that holds the handle to the shifter.....

Use a small screwdriver and gently pry the clip out and the handle will lift up and off the shifter....

nice

thanks eddie got it i knew it was one of those deals like the wipers just didnt see it

now the wires are cut off pretty flush does the white plastic piece enclosing the two wires slide out or do i need to score another shift handle all together???

got it all okay working od button

Attachments

• shifter.jpg
    shifter.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Been there, done that.....:rolleyes:

You need another handle.....:(

I might be able to locate one for you.....

If you can't find another handle easily (which I doubt will be too hard unless you have an odd color interior), I wonder if you could get two additional skinny braided wires, 6 or 8 inches long, and tin the tips. Then hold them in place in the respective contact points, then mash some JB Weld behind them to hold them in place. Wait for it to cure, then connect the extensions to the original wires, tuck the excess wire length down inside the shifter handle tube, and reinstall the handle.

Comments?

went well

i got it ..you pull out the little round o/d button slide the piece out strip and reconnect the wires . tuck them back in their respective slots. and done...

as i was performing this the key was in the on position all of a sudden the climate control blower comes on and wont stop even in the off position i can find a spot in between to stop it but display is still on at which time the normal key on position lights are on.. turn selector to off and blower starts up and most lights go off even the door ajar light goes out ... just weird cant figure any way working on the gearshift / overdrive cancel switch could be related !!

Back