Lincoln Mark VIII

ShawnM93

Yes, i know these are the sc forums, but i know most of you have had experience with T-Birds, so maybe you can help me out here.

I was recently looking into an old 94 thunderbird but the deal fell through, and I've now got my sights set on a new car, a 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII

Has anyone had any experience with these vehicles?
If so how did you like it?
Did you personally have any problems with these cars?
Are there any Big Problems with these cars in General?
Are they mechanically well built? (strong trans, ect.)
What is your honest opinion on these cars?

I mean for me whats not to like, 4.6 dohc, and 20 average mpg.
but we all know there is more to a car than just statistics.

Car info (vague)
105 k miles

I sent an email with some more detailed questions, lets hope i get a reply

Thanks for the help,
Shawn

here is a link to the car i am looking into, looks very good in my opinion.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/ctd/2361021940.html

They have their up's and downs. The 98's have the best transmissions. The 93's have the best driveshaft. Generally the biggest problems are the air suspension which can be converted to conventional springs fairly easy. The aluminum block is a nice piece. Valvetrain problems at high mileage is common. That said I have seen them at 300,000 miles still running strong if properly maintained. Most thunderbird components work throughout the car.
Alan

I have had a 94, a 96, and a Mustang GT with a 97 LSC motor swapped in. Great cars, the transmission is strong provided it was maintained. Best method is to do a JMOD, bigger cooler and Mercon V. The rear sway bar is known to break easily. Ditch the air ride and go coil over, there is no difference in ride quality.

From what I've observed, the power / drive trains seem to be pretty reliable, the interior electronics and -as Alan mentioned- air bag suspension seem to be common failure points.

I love the cars, particularly Gen II ('97/8), hope to find a low miles one someday soon.

Thanks for the replies, but i have one more question, do the first gen (93-96) mark viii's share the same trans as the 94-95 tbird? As in maybe being more so known to fail?

93 markVIII's had a special transmission, it is comparable to the police transmission of that year. the 94-97 transmissions are the same as the thunderbird ones.
The 93's had a special output shaft that is not good for a 4r70w but great for an aod. Their way of using up leftover parts. The roller clutch on the 93 was a 14 element that is still the strongest holding component ever built, the down side is that it does not handle rpms much better than it's 7 element counterpart so we still replace it with the 98+ diode. The 98 trans is the best 7 tooth output shaft transmission built.
Alan

although the front grill is painted matching black to the car, it is not a LSC. it still has the chrome accents on the car. the true LSC's will have all black accents, and true duel exhaust. about 20HP more too. looks great. my brother has a 97 mkVIII and loves it.

from the MVIII owners that i've heard from they all say its one of the best riding cars they have driven i to want one. i always said that ford made the t-bird sc from making the lincoln and cobra have sex and the child was the t-bird sc.;)

Oh and if you do get it, get some free flowing exhaust and some 3.73 gears. Really wakes them up. In my Mustang, I used 99 Cobra headers with the stock mustang mid pipe, made 275HP to the wheels.

I will not be getting this car, but if all goes well this weekend I will be picking up a 1998 lsc Collectors Edition, one of 1400 built, 110k miles, air ride converted to coil, and from what i can gather well maintained... But it will need a new front right hid and switch for the moon roof.

To Any owners of Mark viii's, might i ask how your insurance is?

P2191426.jpg

P2191437.jpg

P2191442.jpg

P2191431.jpg

Back