2 different size sc nose cone seals.

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
I was changing the seal today and had trouble getting the new seal in. I beat on it and beat on it and it wouldn't go in on the outside edge. I checked my old bad blower and found that the seal fit right in. Upon further inspection the opening on the nose cone on the 35th has a slightly smaller, about 2 mm, inside diameter. The old blower's nose cone opening is noticeable larger and shaped slightly differently allowing the seal to fit right in. So I'll have to change the whole nose cone out at this point. Anybody else noticed this? Does the #7968 seal have a smaller outside diameter? I measured the old seals at 45mm and 47mm respectively.

Mike,

I have never heard of a smaller seal being used in the nose cone. I just replaced mine with the same seal you listed a few weeks ago. The box list the measurments as 20 x 47 x 7 Viton, so it sounds like you have the correct one.

David

Yes, Dave, that's really strange isn't it? No doubt about it though. I inspected the inside of both nose cones and indeed they are different. I think I'll check with Magnuson about it and see what they say. Fortunately, I have an old bad blower with a good nose cone other than the leak. I put my extra seal in it and I just finished swapping it out. Not the way I wanted to spend my Sunday afternoon. I glad the AOD doesn't have an EGR. One less irritant to fool with. As far as I know that was the original blower on the car.

Back