Bye Bye M5R2, Hello T56

JACTcoupe

Alright so I have about 98% completed my t56 swap... It has taken me about 3 weeks to complete.. It was easier then I expected. But no walk in the park at all. My t56 came form an lt1 car. I took and swapped the input shaft to the 10 spline ford shaft out of the cobra's. I also change the mid-plate over to the LS1 style. Reasoning behind this is that the cobra shaft I would not have to buy a new clutch or pilot bearing. Also its the correct length. And the reason for the mid-plate change is because I wanted keep my hydraulic clutch. I did run it to a problem trying to reuse the ford slave cylinder. it was way to long and it would position the hydraulic fitting wrong. So to over come this I order the LS1 slave cylinder. its much shorter. But with that I had another problem. The line off the master cylinder is just a hire bigger and wont fit. So I order the one for the LS1. Now the LS1 line is a lil short so I had to take to my local hydraulic repair shop and have them lengthen it about 6inchs. then I had no problems..
Im sure there is things im leaving out but that was about the biggest problem I had. Everything else was just using some engineering to over come. Please feel free to ask questions.. Ill also try to get some pix loaded...

James,

I got a few.. Everytime I thought about it I did. LOL Not very ofter.but here are some that I did get.
lt1 tranny with lt1 mid-plate and input shaft
tranny1.jpg

tranny with the swapped mid-plate and input shaft
teanny2.jpg

trany with everything mounted. notice how the slave cylinder set on the shaft. the ford one almost covers the input shaft entirely.
IMG_0011.jpg

Mounted in the car. Notice I had to notch the crossmember to make it fit... I did strength it later.
IMG_0015.jpg

Its a big project for sure... It cost alot of money.. D&D performance is were I got the mid plate and shaft from... I have heard people say that they have had problems with them. But I have had nothing but great service.

IMG_0011.jpg

Mounted in the car. Notice I had to notch the crossmember to make it fit... I did strength it later.
IMG_0015.jpg

Its a big project for sure... It cost alot of money.. D&D performance is were I got the mid plate and shaft from... I have heard people say that they have had problems with them. But I have had nothing but great service.

How well do you think that crossmember will hold up notched out like that?
Where does your shifter wind up?
On my swap, I moved my crossmember back, I stayed with the LS1 i/p shaft and Ford hyd. t/o unit. My shifter is a little forward of where I want it, but set-up is not complete. (I'm in no hurry, and my machinist is back logged this spring ---he's a marine guy)
Looks good, good luck,
MikeH

How well do you think that crossmember will hold up notched out like that?
Where does your shifter wind up?
On my swap, I moved my crossmember back, I stayed with the LS1 i/p shaft and Ford hyd. t/o unit. My shifter is a little forward of where I want it, but set-up is not complete. (I'm in no hurry, and my machinist is back logged this spring ---he's a marine guy)
Looks good, good luck,
MikeH

I welded supports to strength it. And the picture looks like I cut way more off then I really did. But it seems strong
My shift sit a lil forward about 1.5-2 inchs. The only problem I have yet to overcome with it is the interior parts. the shifter hits the plastic cove when you go in to 1st. So i need to modify something, but unsure of what.. I dont want to the interior to be all cut up and look bad.
Thanks

What have you done about the electronics? Speedo and reverse and stuff?

Very nice you pulled it off. I had suggested the 10spline input a while ago, and it seems that would be the cheapest solution when using the old F body t-56s

What gear ratios is that trans sporting and what rear end did you end up using?

Also did you buy an offset shifter lever or are you using the camaro shifter?

What have you done about the electronics? Speedo and reverse and stuff?

Very nice you pulled it off. I had suggested the 10spline input a while ago, and it seems that would be the cheapest solution when using the old F body t-56s

What gear ratios is that trans sporting and what rear end did you end up using?

Also did you buy an offset shifter lever or are you using the camaro shifter?

Well I was lucky the tranny I got came with everything I mean everything that has to do with tranny. So I got the hole tranny wiring harness. So I just wired up the reverse lights. And for the speedo its working but why off. I bought this Electronic Ratio Adapter (ERA) from http://http://www.abbott-tach.com/ERA.html I havent calibrated it yet but that will be coming on next week.
As far as ratios I can remember what the LT1 cars t56 ratio where. But Im still running 3:27 for my rearend. I want to get everthing work soild before I change gears (if its even needed).
Still using the stock shift... Its shfts fine with out the interior cover on. But with that in place the shifter hits that. So Ill have to come up with a way to fix this.

Id like to see where the shifter lands, I know you can get offest shifter levers. They are ways around it I think.

Good job on the swap. Got me thinking.

I guess I want to know how you made the GM slave work but Mike H is using the stocker? You say it would not have worked with the stocker? Mike have you tried your stock slave?

And are the fittings the same on both the GM and Ford Slave? do the lines bolt up to it?

Last edited:
Yeah I was thanking the same thing. But the way the shifter comes with up with out the extensions handle, I feel it still wont work. Because if your talking about the same thing that Im thanking. IT just sets the shifter handle back not the shifter it self. I also thought about GTO shifter but that will set it to far back plus you have to mod the tranny it seld to get that the shifter to bolt to it. I'll take some pix of the shift and post them later.

Yeah the stock slave is way to long.. If you look at my pic you see how much of the spline is showing? Well with the stock one there was maybe 1/2inch of spline showing. And if you pushed it back it still wasn't enought. when you go to install the tranny it would have engaged the clutch and you would have slipping or worst problems. I had to mod the bellhouse just a bit to get the GM slave to work. And also keep in mind that he is use the LS1 input shaft... SO that mite change things for him. IDK.

No the fitting are different.. they look same but the GM is just a hair smaller... I had to order the line and take it to have it lengthen..

James,

Last edited:
What did you do for Output Yoke and driveshaft?

Im am thinking of picking up an M29 or going with a T-56 magnum. Your thread makes it tempting to pull the trigger on a Fbody unit.

They sell shifters that have adjustable handles and the handle spins around so its not just adjusting it back it can also adjust to the side too.

http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_shifter.shtml

My tranny came with the GM yoke (Like I said I got everything :p). But I didnt even use it. I had an aluminum shaft built. So they I got a new yoke.

Yeah that shifter still wont work. The shaft the the handle slides on is the problem...

Yeah I didnt go with Fbody for any special reason. I just happen to get a good deal... I got the Tranny and everything to go with it for $400 :eek: I know! So that why I went that root. But its seem to work out great!

Have you looked into a shifter from a GTO? After a bit of searching I found a picture in an unlikely place. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=854774
It might put the shifter too far back, but that could be adjusted with the use of an offset handle like the mcleod or MGW since you would be clear of the dash.
Yeah i already spoke of this. the GTO Shifter will set to far back. Plus It doesn't just bolt up to the stock shifter. GM made a completely different shifter housing for the GTO. So for it to fit my tranny would need to be modified. And to order the shift and try to make it work would be costly.

I think I will stick with the LS1 i/p shaft as it's longer, to use spacer rings and move the shifter back to the original position. I really don't want to mess up my console.
MikeH
pics in T56 install thread

Last edited:
I think I will stick with the LS1 i/p shaft as it's longer, to use spacer rings and move the shifter back to the original position. I really don't want to mess up my console.
MikeH
pics in T56 install thread

I understand that. So are you spacing the tranny off the bellhousing?

I try to get pix as soon as I can. Should be no later then monday

I will use spacers between the bell and front plate. As soon as I get the sleeves for the pilot brg (I am having 2 made, cuz I'm looking at doing this again.......with a big block). I was going to set up the spare clutch pedal on the trans cage that I am using to set up the pilot depth and clutch. But I banged up my back and not able to lift and twist yet. So, I am just pulling small parts out to build the pedal mount to use the hyd clutch master/slave to check slave, pressure plate, clutch disk operation prior to installing. This way all shimming and fitting will be figgured and done before I put it in the car, and not have to pull it out again.

I had thought about having a long length input shaft made with ford splines and pilot that way I could use ford specific parts. Just space and shim as necessary.
As for speedo I used a Dakota Signals SGI-5 http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd126.htm

I ordered the GM harness pigtails from Rock Auto to splice into the OEM 5 spd harness.

If you can't get the shifter back far enough might be able to get an alum. plate to cover and make it look good.
For now I am using a Hurst Billit Plus shifter and my OEM 5 speed shifter which is kinda cranked to the left a little.
However you go about it, good luck. And have fun.
MikeH

Ok here is some pix of the shifter...
Top View 2nd gear
IMG_0041.jpg

left side view 2nd gear
IMG_0053.jpg

left side view push up for neutral but wont go completely
IMG_0054.jpg

Right Side view
IMG_0055.jpg

Ok so been driving around for fun and trying to find kinks. One problem 2nd gear with the stupid lockout thing.. I got to figure out how to disengage that. I cant down shift. Also Im having a small vibration at about 60-70mph.. Not sure what that is yet...

Back