'89 Restoration

90coug

I sold this car back in 2008 to a friend who maybe had it for a month before he wrecked it. He doesn't have the funds to fix it up and I wasn't going to let him dismantle it and part it out. I decided to purchase it back for a fraction of my selling price :D and give it the TLC that it really deserves.

They beauty of it all is that another friend has since purchased it from me; he is now in the midst of fixing it up. Here are some shots of the progress. Starting this thread so I can put together a time line of events, plus to reference and reminisce about the whole story with friends. Tim, if you ever read this, thanks for the $500.00 Supercoupe!

So far, we've had to replace

Sub Frame
Front Suspension Parts
Power Steering Rack
ABS Sensor
Intercooler
Motor Mounts
Radiator Support
Bumper Assembly
Header Panel
Headlamps
Cornerlamps
Fenders
Splash Guards
Radiator
Fan Shroud
EGR pipe
Ignition Switch
Cam Sensor
Hood
Miscellaneous hardware

The worst of it's done; we finished the welding and grinding last night. Now we are tackling the wiring and putting all of it back together. We tried turning it over but we’re not getting fuel, even after jumping the eec-iv connector. Looks like we might have to visit the fuel tank, ugh….

****UPDATE - The fuel problem was just a ground wire.

Picture of the car wrecked in Tim's brothers driveway.
<br>
CIMG4433.jpg

<Br>
CIMG4434.jpg

<br>
CIMG4435.jpg

<br>
CIMG4432.jpg

<br>
CIMG4431.jpg

<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Pictures of the progress while sitting in my driveway.
<Br>
IMAG0873.jpg

<br>
IMAG0874.jpg

<br>
IMAG0875.jpg

<br>
Richard hard at work on his new project.
<Br>
IMAG0876.jpg

<br>
IMAG0885.jpg

<br>
IMAG0886.jpg

<br>
IMAG0887.jpg

<br>

Kasey the Cook (Super delicious fuel while working on the bird) I didn't even know I had this in my cupboard, you rock!
<Br>
IMAG0877.jpg

Last edited:
update

We found a bumper fairly close and for a decent price!

Thanks Ryan, look forward to meeting you down in the Springs.
<br>
IMG00169-20110427-1200.jpg

Definately sounds like the fuel pump inertia switch located in trunk on the drivers side behind the carpet. With a good impact it will be in the open position and wont allow the pump to run.
Just push the button and reset it!!!!

Nice progress so far though!! Keep it going.

Definately sounds like the fuel pump inertia switch located in trunk on the drivers side behind the carpet. With a good impact it will be in the open position and wont allow the pump to run.
Just push the button and reset it!!!!

Nice progress so far though!! Keep it going.

I thought the same thing however not the case. I found a ground wire when installing the headlights. Car started right up and sounds great except for an exhaust leak.

Progress over the weekend

IMAG0890.jpg

<br>
IMAG0892.jpg

<br>
IMAG0893.jpg

<br>
IMAG0896.jpg

<br>
IMAG0894.jpg

<br>
IMAG0898.jpg

<br>
IMAG0899.jpg

<br>
IMAG0904.jpg

<br>
IMAG0905.jpg

<br>
IMAG0908.jpg

<br>
IMAG0911.jpg

<br>
IMAG0919.jpg

<br>
IMAG0916.jpg

<br>
IMAG0921.jpg

<br>
IMAG0929.jpg

<br>
IMAG0930.jpg

<br>
IMAG0931.jpg

<br>
IMAG0939.jpg

<br>
IMAG0934.jpg

<br>
IMAG0936.jpg

<br>

Last edited:
Nice work, But did you not paint before putting back parts on the car?

Thanks, we're happy about the outcome too.

Really wasn't that bad, most of the parts I had stored in the shed. Of course we had to visit the local pick n pull for the fenders and hood.

We didn't paint yet but only because we wanted to dedicate a weekend to nothing but painting. Plus, I really wanted to see it built and out of my driveway :)

We drove it around yesterday, amazing that the alignment is fairly accurate. Shocks are dead and the upper control arms are shot but all in all, not bad!

Had to replace the ignition switch, the turn signals wouldn't work and the VMM didn't emit. I knew that was the culprit when everything worked after applying pressure to the key. That was the only item we purchased new, $10.00 over at AutoZone. Then to top it off the tachometer stopped working and I had to change the cam sensor. I really only thought we had body work on this project. :p

Our final price after everything we did this weekend was $1,030.00. This would have been a few bucks cheaper if we had kept the old hood and fenders, junkyard offers core prices for the broken parts. Besides paint and a few minor odds and ends, we're done. Not bad, we really liked this car; I personally like the moon roof and the titanium color. We made sure to roast the tires so we could double check performance and reliability. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back